Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bees on ground around hive  (Read 3763 times)

Offline bobsim

• New Bee
Bees on ground around hive
« on: August 27, 2015, 03:17:47 am »
  Morning Folks,

Excuse me if this isn't top bar specific but both my hives are top bar so I thought I'd post it here.

Two days ago I went out to check the bees and found many (80 - 100) on the ground around both of my hives. These were young bees with no apparent wing deformities and they appeared sluggish. Some were in groups of three to five but most were just crawling around in the grass by themselves. I looked at a few of them under a magnifying glass and could see nothing odd. No swelling of abdomen, mites, leg paralysis or deformed wings. There were some mustard colored droppings on the grass but I don't know that it's related, never really looked this close at the grass before.

I searched online and all I could find was this behavior was possibly consistent with tracheal mites so I gave each hive some honey bee healthy in 1:1 syrup. I should note that I don't want to be treating but it's tough to watch them struggle and My thinking is the HBH is a minimal treatment. I didn't do a mite roll but two months ago both hives got a five week powdered sugar treatment and I don't see any mites on the bees.

Yesterday when I got home I went to check on them and one hive was having orientation flights. Now, this is my first year of beekeeping and I can't resist standing in the middle of orientations, it's just so cool. Well I noticed the bees were landing in the grass and on me. They looked fine and after a while some would fly off but most of them just stayed. So I have a lot of my new bees leaving for orientation and not returning to the hive. This is happening to both hives.

Both hives had taken almost a whole quart of the syrup, don't know if they liked it or took it out out of the hive and spit it out.

Last weekend I inspected the hives and didn't see anything out of the norm, I did add brood bars between the honey and brood to both. The bees behaved as normal but maybe a tad grouchy.

So... any ideas? Anyone else seeing this?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Bees on ground around hive
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2015, 12:01:49 pm »
Several possibilities.  Nosema is one.  Tracheal mites are another.  If they aren't black and shiny, those would be my first two guesses.   If they ARE black and shiny I would guess a virus.  If it's not a lot of bees, I wouldn't worry about it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mikecva

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2015, 12:24:26 pm »
If not Nosema and they are on orientation flights I would not worry if the bees are taking off from the grass and doing their bee stuff. If you start finding a lot of bees and they are not drones being kicked out early, start to see if a neighbor has sprayed their flowers. good luck.  -Mike
Listen to others but make your own decisions. That way you own the results.
Please remember to read labels.

Offline Eugene Willson

• New Bee
  • Another glorious day in paradise
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2015, 01:12:52 pm »
Hi,
I had this happen to me and it was a queen that the bees had kicked out of the hive. I think she was being replaced, but the queen was damaged and could not fly. She was last years queen that I received in a package.
Gene
There is no such thing as a free lunch.
 R Heinlein

Offline jayj200

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2015, 11:03:29 am »
was it pesticides they got into?

anything