Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Greetings  (Read 2052 times)

Offline for-all-love

• New Bee
Greetings
« on: May 18, 2019, 03:26:32 pm »
I'm a new-bee and have just discovered this site. I've had bees about a month and have, due to lack of proper equipment, left them alone--I did my first (partial) inspection a couple of days ago and all seemed to be well. (I only looked at a couple of frames before the bees seemed to get a little irate. It was evening and maybe I was disturbing their supper. :smile: This third time, I didn't get stung at all, despite only wearing a (light-colored) thin long sleeved shirt (still don't have a bee jacket in my size).

I live in northeast Oklahoma and our weather hasn't been cooperating with our garden planting. The perennials and weeds have bloomed, but we've been late getting other plants done. Fortunately, there is a good nectar flow, as evidenced by pollen on bees entering the hive. We're only secondarily interested in the honey and other by-products. Our green beans didn't set last year, despite copious flowers. We're hoping having bees in the back yard will encourage flower pollination.

My username is a reference to a phrase popular in the works of Patrick O'Brian.

- Ted

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Greetings
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2019, 06:01:20 pm »
Welcome to Beemaster Ted.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2019, 07:33:35 pm »
Welcome!
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2019, 08:41:15 pm »
Welcome! ... just make sure you have a veil. You don't want to get stung in (or around) the eyes.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Online cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2019, 12:32:16 am »
Welcome  :happy:

Offline for-all-love

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2019, 08:38:52 am »
Welcome! ... just make sure you have a veil. You don't want to get stung in (or around) the eyes.

Most definitely. My first, less than perfect, interaction with the bees came when the hives fell over after a rainstorm. They were not happy. I didn't know about wearing light colored clothing and wore a thin, dark short sleeved shirt and a veil. All I got set back up was the lowest section. I had to rush off because they were too intense--I was being stung. The next time, I wore my heavy black leather jacket, which meant I didn't get stung, but the bees felt threatened. I got the hive reassembled, but didn't know that the entrance should be facing the southeast (it currently faces the north). The third unpleasant interaction was when I was applying motor oil to the feet of the support to repel ants. The bees apparently didn't like the smell. One or two bees got inside my veil, but I wasn't stung; they just wanted out.

It is definitely a series of learning experiences.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2019, 09:22:35 pm »
 :grin: you already know about wearing a veil - to be sure! I had a hive knocked over by a storm-downed tree earlier this year. They can surely get defensive at such times.  :grin: I'm glad everything worked out ok for you.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2019, 10:22:55 pm »
Welcome Ted!  :smile:
Neill

anything