Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Does late, cold, wet spring push back swarm season?  (Read 1812 times)

Offline gardeningfireman

• Field Bee
Does late, cold, wet spring push back swarm season?
« on: April 21, 2011, 09:23:02 am »
NE Ohio is having a late, cold, and wet spring(if you can even call it spring!). How does that affect the swarming season? Normally here it is during May.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Does late, cold, wet spring push back swarm season?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 10:11:31 am »
It may push it back, but bees can bounce back pretty quickly.  I wouldn't count too much on it.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 10:17:01 am »
it does.  the only swarm  call i have gotten has come from southern Oregon.  i usually have them as soon as there is a warm day in march.  there were no warm days in march this year or last :-)

if this year follows last, swarm season will hit with a furry as soon as it warms/quits raining just a little.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BMAC

• Field Bee
    • http://WWW.OLEMCDONALD.COM
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 10:25:38 am »
maples here just started blooming a week ago.  Swarm activity far out of my future.  Well not really.  Probably only 4 weeks out.
God Bless all the troops
Semper Fi Marines!

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 11:21:57 am »
Last year I had a swarm already by this time.  This year?  Nodda chance!! :roll:

So yes, it will push them back.
Rick

Offline Michael Bach

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 10:39:03 pm »
Two spring/summers ago we had a cold wet spring and summer.  The result was a delayed swarm season.  The the bees demise there was a lot of swarms in August and September.

Last spring summer was warm to hot.  Mid April we had 12-16 frames of brood.  Swarms were in mid may.  A good 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule.

This spring is cold and wet and most hives have only 5-9 frames of brood.

Remember bees swarm when the conditions are the best.  Lots of pollen and nectar resulting in the queen to lay more.  Less natural pollen and nectar and the queen lays less.

anything