Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: electric uncapping knife. where to buy?  (Read 3592 times)

Offline damienpryan

• House Bee
electric uncapping knife. where to buy?
« on: December 29, 2018, 04:52:34 am »
Hi all,

Can any tell me a good place to buy uncapping knives?
I seem stuck between $190 uncapping knives at Australian sites and $20 ebay chinese knives that flip your circuit board.

$190 AUD seems a lot of an electric knife but I'm not trying anything from China anymore.
I'd don't know but I suspect the chinese electric knives might work in America on 110V but are not adapted properly from Australian 230-240V.

Anything ideas?

Also any tried a maxtant uncapping plane ?
Are the much faster?
https://bindaree.com.au/maxant-uncapping-plane-4/
I think they are $400 AUD. If they are much better then I'd rather buy one of them than a $190 electric knife.

Cheers

Damien

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: electric uncapping knife. where to buy?
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 08:53:57 am »
Are you referring to the heated electric un cappings knives?
If so, I recommend you try one before you buy one. If you are not using it continuously, they tend to over heat and then they burn the honey and change the flavor. I have one but I do not use it.
We mostly use a serrated decapping knife. It works real well.
I did recently buy, at a yard sale for a couple of bucks, an electric carving knife. The next time we pull honey we will try it. I?m told they work real well.
Jim

Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline kanga

• House Bee
Re: electric uncapping knife. where to buy?
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2019, 11:54:46 pm »
Damien, the cheapest I have seen is $187 and that is the Speed King brand from the States. While I have the frame in my hand and a knife in the other I clean all burr comb from the frame.
http://hornsby-beekeeping.com/electric-uncapping-knife/
Kevin