Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Anyone know how to make homeade TYPE mite away quick strips?  (Read 2836 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Anyone know how to make homeade TYPE mite away quick strips?
« on: September 21, 2019, 01:04:10 am »
Does anyone here know how to make homemade type mite away quick strips?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
Re: Anyone know how to make homeade TYPE mite away quick strips?
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2019, 09:17:49 am »
maybe not the answer you were hoping for . there is a way to make oxalic acid impregnated blue shop towel to lay over brood frames . supposed to work for a month . the bees tear it up and carry it out thus spreading it through the hive. kills the mites , dosn't hurt the bees.
i am using this method, what didn't get carried off got propolized, need to remove the remains and repeat soon.

Offline BAHBEEs

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2019, 02:33:11 pm »
The problem I have had when trying the shop towel approach is some bees seem to get hung up in it along with the mites.

Offline FatherMichael

• House Bee
    • Deep Creek Apiaries and the Hive Shop
« Reply #3 on: September 24, 2019, 06:37:20 pm »
The problem I have had when trying the shop towel approach is some bees seem to get hung up in it along with the mites.

Never saw a bee caught in the shop cloth.
41 And while they yet believed not for joy, and wondered, he said unto them, Have ye here any meat?

42 And they gave him a piece of a broiled fish, and of an honeycomb.

43 And he took it, and did eat before them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: September 24, 2019, 07:51:49 pm »

Never saw a bee caught in the shop cloth.

I have never used the shop towels for mites, or swiffer sheets for beetles. I have heard that bees do get caught up in the swiffer sheets. I like the oxalic vapor for mites. I have been doing some reading and it seems that many beekeepers use Mite Away Quick Strips when their hive has a tremendious amount of mites in the cooler fall weather. I thought it would be neat if we were able, and had the knowledge, to make our own.  This should not be an impossible task.  Anyone here know the process?

PS let me add, I am thinking I have read that this is considered organic, Can anyone confirm this?
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #5 on: September 24, 2019, 08:23:14 pm »
Good afternoon Phil, BenFramed. 
I believe mite away strips are Formic acid?  If so then consider the following.

I look at the msds for Formic Acid, I was trying to determine the evaporation rate; no available info was stated.  I did look at the flash point, 122F, or easier said, the kaboom point.  That is very low temp, I did not realize Formic acid has so low a temp for flash fire.  A hot day and a bee smoker could blow up a hive.  So Formic acid in a provap at 340F would blow up.

The issues with Formic acid on a towel are two fold:
1.  Auto ignition of an acid on cloth.  Acids cause heat as they act, dissolve whatever.
2.  Determining the evaporation rate: enough to kill mites but not so much it kills bees.  I am sure the company that makes the Formic acid strips are very secrete about the amount of acid per square inch of cloth and type of cloth for that matter.

Let me emphasize Formic acid is the acid formed from oxygenated formaldehyde.  Formaldehyde is used in the embalming process because nothing lives in the presence of this chemical, it is so deadly; no molds, no fungus, no bacteria, I mean nothing lives in presence of formaldehyde.  Generally speaking, Formic acid is a very close relative of formaldehyde. 

Van
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #6 on: September 24, 2019, 10:10:41 pm »
Thanks Mr Van for the research and effort that you put into researching this subject. I did not know formic had such a low flash rate, goodness.  I do know it is more potent than our, and I say our oxalic, as oxalic is all I have used as have you.  For an emergency situation of a hive such as beeboy01 dealt with in the experimental series last season, and so graciously shared with us here, formic might have been a better option? I am not by any means looking to use that stuff, only if I ever have an emergency situation similar to his, would I see the need. But, I was thinking it would be fun to know how to make my own. Mr HP also did a good informational series and write up on the varroa as per Members experiences last year. I intend to go back and again study both of these.
Blessings,
Phillip 

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2019, 11:24:18 pm »
Phil, if you find HP thread on Varroa. Reply to the thread so it will be on the number 1 page as I would like to read also.  HP has a detailed wealth of knowledge and the fella takes the time to share.  Thanks HP if you read this.

Blessings
Van :tongue:
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2019, 07:45:21 am »

I look at the msds for Formic Acid, I was trying to determine the evaporation rate; no available info was stated.  I did look at the flash point, 122F, or easier said, the kaboom point.  That is very low temp, I did not realize Formic acid has so low a temp for flash fire.  A hot day and a bee smoker could blow up a hive.  So Formic acid in a provap at 340F would blow up.

1.  Auto ignition of an acid on cloth.  Acids cause heat as they act, dissolve whatever.
2.  Determining the evaporation rate: enough to kill mites but not so much it kills bees.  I am sure the company that makes the Formic acid strips are very secrete about the amount of acid per square inch of cloth and type of cloth for that matter.

Let me emphasize Formic acid is the acid formed from oxygenated formaldehyde.  Formaldehyde is used in the embalming process because nothing lives in the presence of this chemical, it is so deadly; no molds, no fungus, no bacteria, I mean nothing lives in presence of formaldehyde.  Generally speaking, Formic acid is a very close relative of formaldehyde. 

Van
So if I understand you correctly, it is better to lose a hive to mites than to lose the beekeeper to a flash fire in his workshop.

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2019, 08:08:31 am »
Thanks Mr Van for the research and effort that you put into researching this subject. I did not know formic had such a low flash rate, goodness.  I do know it is more potent than our, and I say our oxalic, as oxalic is all I have used as have you.  For an emergency situation of a hive such as beeboy01 dealt with in the experimental series last season, and so graciously shared with us here, formic might have been a better option? I am not by any means looking to use that stuff, only if I ever have an emergency situation similar to his, would I see the need. But, I was thinking it would be fun to know how to make my own. Mr HP also did a good informational series and write up on the varroa as per Members experiences last year. I intend to go back and again study both of these.
Blessings,
Phillip 
Phil, if you find HP thread on Varroa. Reply to the thread so it will be on the number 1 page as I would like to read also.  HP has a detailed wealth of knowledge and the fella takes the time to share.  Thanks HP if you read this.

Blessings
If you guys are looking for my hive crash thread, it is titled Unsure What Is Going On In This Hive.  And I agree, a wealth of information to be learned on that thread. I know that better than anyone. :wink: 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2019, 10:43:35 am »

Van
So if I understand you correctly, it is better to lose a hive to mites than to lose the beekeeper to a flash fire in his workshop.

Mite away strips are Formic acid in a gel on a towel of unknown to me material.    The gel causes slow release up to 90F and retards fire hazard.  If beeks were handling pure Formic acid as we do Oxalic acid there would be many problems.

Van

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2019, 11:07:39 am »

Van

Mite away strips are Formic acid in a gel on a towel of unknown to me material.    The gel causes slow release up to 90F and retards fire hazard.  If beeks were handling pure Formic acid as we do Oxalic acid there would be many problems.

Van

quoting Matt
''So if I understand you correctly, it is better to lose a hive to mites than to lose the beekeeper to a flash fire in his workshop.''

Matt I do not think that what Mr Van is saying. But he is letting us know how tricky and dangerous fromic is and its boundaries and dangers, emphasizing the strict care in handling. If used properly, it should not be a flash point problem. We each have decisions to make in our beekeeping domaine. We do have a responsibility to the bees. I personally would not rule out the use of such a product, especially since it had been ruled as organic, but this would HAVE to be in an extreme circumstance, perhaps such as beeboy01 experienced last year. Others might use it as a regular go to under the right temperatures etc with much success. It would be best to do research before using any product. Including this one. Is this correct Mr Van?

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #12 on: September 25, 2019, 11:09:41 am »
Blessings,
Phillip 

Blessings
If you guys are looking for my hive crash thread, it is titled Unsure What Is Going On In This Hive.  And I agree, a wealth of information to be learned on that thread. I know that better than anyone. :wink:

Thank you Member

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2019, 09:46:40 pm »

Van

Van

quoting Matt
''So if I understand you correctly, it is better to lose a hive to mites than to lose the beekeeper to a flash fire in his workshop.''

Matt I do not think that what Mr Van is saying. But he is letting us know how tricky and dangerous fromic is and its boundaries and dangers, emphasizing the strict care in handling. If used properly, it should not be a flash point problem. We each have decisions to make in our beekeeping domaine. We do have a responsibility to the bees. I personally would not rule out the use of such a product, especially since it had been ruled as organic, but this would HAVE to be in an extreme circumstance, perhaps such as beeboy01 experienced last year. Others might use it as a regular go to under the right temperatures etc with much success. It would be best to do research before using any product. Including this one. Is this correct Mr Van?
Sounds like a Bad Plan.

But then I'm shy of OAV so that should indicate my threshold for danger. :)

I also think thru the numbers.  MaQS is kind of expensive,  but very low risk of losing anything beyond a queen. A homemade alternative is more expensive for the first treatment because of all the upfront investment and ROI is maybe ... twenty treatments?  But what is at risk in the development stages?

Bee careful.

Sent from my SM-J737P using Tapatalk

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2019, 10:43:39 pm »
quoting Matt
''Sounds like a bad plan

But then I'm shy of OAV so that should indicate my threshold for danger. :)

I also think thru the numbers.  MaQS is kind of expensive,  but very low risk of losing anything beyond a queen. A homemade alternative is more expensive for the first treatment because of all the upfront investment and ROI is maybe ... twenty treatments?  But what is at risk in the development stages?

Bee careful.''

Maybe a bad plan. I would still like to be informed as how these are made.
Though you shy away from OAV, will not be challenged by me. I was shy also until I did my homework and was satisfied that it is a good organic means of Mite control. As your leaning away from it, I commend you, as it is better to be safe than sorry. There is some very good information on OAV from all over the world, research from governments and  universities, my studying many of these papers and the proof of many years use in other countries without any know problems convinced me. 
As far as the expensive alternative for using a homemade version of MAQS is yet to be seen as no one has yet to provide information Of the making of this alternative, including Google as far as I can find. You could very well be right , but there again you may be wrong. I would like to know regardless and at least have the option. As far as twenty treatments? I have not heard this. From what I understand one treatment with MAQS, another organic method, and the mites are history?
I am trying to be careful, yet informed. 
Phillip

« Last Edit: September 27, 2019, 10:33:57 am by Ben Framed »

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Anyone know how to make homeade TYPE mite away quick strips?
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2019, 02:40:34 pm »
Beekeepers inherently are D I Y type people.  There is often many different ways of doing things to accomplish the same end goals. Some innovative, some ingenious, some primitive or crude yet work. 
That said, there are times when the best decision is to buy and use the solution that is readily available.  Imho,  MAQS is one of those, (as is ApiVar).  If you find them too expensive, simply use something else.
Unless one is experienced in chemical processing and hazmat handling, these in particular are best left to those in the know.  They have implemented processes and procedures to safely handle and to supply a product that is safe for the end user with minimal risk of injury.
I have no affiliation with MAQS.  I do have knowledge of the raw materials.  Am sharing that (imho) this is a case of where kitchen countertop chemistry is hazardous beyond what could be gained. 
If formic is your choice of treatment for the round; for your safety just buy the pail of strips, please.
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2019, 03:09:44 pm »
I have just been enlightened to the knowledge that Formic is a favorable choice of treatment in Germany and Formic Acid treatment in Germany has official documents explaining the treatment steps and various methods. I am still studying this. I have just come up on this information and it looks promising, (and safe) I will study it further. As I stated in one of my previous post. I have no intention of using formic as my go to treatment. But I do like learning of other solutions  and options. I thank each of you for your replies and concerns of safety, as my concerns are just as strong.
Phillip

anything