Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: worms  (Read 3186 times)

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
worms
« on: August 31, 2013, 08:34:41 pm »
I notice that I have worms in the bottom of my tbh. I can take the bottom of and get rid of them.
any1 know what they could be? they aren't earthworms. maybe some sorta moth?

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: worms
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2013, 12:23:47 am »
They are either small hive beetle larvae or wax moth larvae. Your bees are cleaning them out of the hive. You definitely want them out of the hive and dead. The SHB's normal course is to feed off of honey and pollen then drop out of the hive and burrow in the ground and pupate. Then they turn into adults fly back to the hive and do more destruction in your hive.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Better.to.Bee.than.not

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2013, 12:38:22 am »
ya, don't let them fall on the ground and think you have gotten rid of them. make sure you kill them.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2013, 05:02:42 am »
 zzzzzzzzpr..........
   The life cycle of a SHB is the adults fly up to 10 to 12 miles away and into the hive just before sunset and will start laying eggs this is when the damage is done your hive will be long gone by the time the lava will go to the ground  to pupate.  Also SHB can live outside hive on sugary fruits like peaches, watermelon, cantaloupe and pears.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :)
« Last Edit: September 02, 2013, 10:09:35 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline zzzzzzzzpr

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2013, 09:46:25 pm »
ty for your replies