Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Is it Time Already?  (Read 5805 times)

Offline lastfling

• New Bee
Re: Is it Time Already?
« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2021, 08:25:14 pm »
I?ve noticed pollen being brought in on days warm enough for bees to fly.  I had a chance to get into my hives late last week on a warm day and all appeared to be doing fine.  What really surprised me was seeing drones in one hive.  I thought it was pretty early for them as winter isn?t over yet.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2021, 09:59:25 pm »
I have capped drone cells in Middle Georgia.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2021, 11:09:53 pm »
Calling for low 80's mid this week so I'm going for an inspection on all the hives. All the hives are bringing in pollen and cranking, ought to be fun.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2021, 06:44:12 am »
Lastfling
some of our hives that winter exceptionally will have drones in them, We consider the presence of drones as an indicator of a hive that never went into any stress running into winter, so they weren't thrown out.
We have also collected migrating drones at almonds (August) from hives that have come from warm areas that don't really have a cold winter. These are handy as they allow us to make early splits with confidence that the new queens will mate OK.

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2021, 11:20:52 am »
My first blossom is usually my Winter Aconite at about St. Valentine's Day.  It will even poke up through a light skiff of snow.  Silver maple is usually only a couple weeks behind that, 1st week of March.  Crocus comes soon after that.

https://www.bhg.com/gardening/plant-dictionary/bulb/winter-aconite/
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2021, 06:56:39 pm »
Hops, crocus is our first bloom, in February with frost, but not enough for the bees as I have about 10 plants.  Winter Anconite??? I have to google that one.

Old Beavo, that is a good tip: drones represent a healthy, unstressed hive.

BEEBOY, Bob W.  You fellas still are killing me with envy,,, capped drone brood, 80F,,, in my dreams.  All I need is SawDust, Jim, to elicit a vocabulary of tropical weather like conditions and I moving.  Say no more, I am cold and wearing a down jacket with net heavy cap while you southern beeks in short sleeve and tanning oil taking care for surplus frames of honey, pic enclosed, due to active honeybees, more pics,  are most likely mowing your lawns then watering the garden.  My bees are still clustered, not even warm enough for elimination flights.  Not a crocus flower in sight, this end of January in N Arkansas.

OK, I ranted, thank you for putting up with me.  Seriously, I adore reading about the warm weather, active bees, pollen, flowers...

Signed; Mr. Chilly.

Add.  winter anconite:  looks like a good low bush flower for bees.  Hops, are all the blooms yellow?
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline lastfling

• New Bee
« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2021, 09:59:37 pm »
Old Beavo
Thanks for the insight regarding drones.  Knowing I have at least one unstressed hive is good news !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2021, 10:18:31 pm »
 Van,
I spent the afternoon helping my brother pull 12 gauge power cable through 60? of conduit and hooking up power to a shed in his yard. We were all in T shirts and inside the shed with the door wide open, it was very hot.
😃
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2021, 06:58:32 am »
Of course, the flip side in middle Georgia is dearth and searing dry heat from June 1 onward.

Offline rast

• Field Bee
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2021, 08:20:19 am »
I went through and assessed 9 hives yesterday and yes I was sweaty when through. Some had an excellent textbook brood pattern, some mediocre and one definitely needs requeening.   No drones.
Fools argue; wise men discuss.
    --Paramahansa Yogananda

Offline The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2021, 10:52:40 am »
It's supposed to be 60F here today.  It won't last though, it'll be cold again by the weekend. 
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #31 on: January 26, 2021, 02:03:54 pm »
Got the inspection in this morning, the weather is cloudy and in the mid 70's with the girls flying a little. All the hives look good with two showing a lot of open honey coming in, maybe from the maples that are in full bloom. One hive was a little aggressive and had a good number of small hive beetles present so I added some traps. Started to move a 3 high nuc tower three feet at a time to it's permanent position before transferring it to a double deep. It was a late August nuc that looks like it's finally taking off and should be a good honey production hive this year.  Only at four hives right now but hoping to expand to six. Here we go again !!!!

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #32 on: January 26, 2021, 02:18:05 pm »
Gonna go thru mine on wed I?ll let you know on the drones, we normally start splits on Valentine?s Day so will see what happening in my side of florida

Offline Hops Brewster

• Field Bee
« Reply #33 on: January 26, 2021, 08:22:34 pm »
Hops, crocus is our first bloom, in February with frost, but not enough for the bees as I have about 10 plants.  Winter Anconite??? I have to google that one.

BEEBOY, Bob W.  You fellas still are killing me with envy,,, capped drone brood, 80F,,, in my dreams.  All I need is SawDust, Jim, to elicit a vocabulary of tropical weather like conditions and I moving.  Say no more, I am cold and wearing a down jacket with net heavy cap while you southern beeks in short sleeve and tanning oil taking care for surplus frames of honey, pic enclosed, due to active honeybees, more pics,  are most likely mowing your lawns then watering the garden.  My bees are still clustered, not even warm enough for elimination flights.  Not a crocus flower in sight, this end of January in N Arkansas.

OK, I ranted, thank you for putting up with me.  Seriously, I adore reading about the warm weather, active bees, pollen, flowers...

Signed; Mr. Chilly.

Add.  winter anconite:  looks like a good low bush flower for bees.  Hops, are all the blooms yellow?
Yes, they're all yellow.  They will slowly propagate themselves by seed.  I planted all mine as tubers.  They ain't a bush, but individual plants that like to grow close together.  I don't usually get more than a couple bees on them but last spring they were all over it.
Winter is coming.

I can't say I hate the government, but I am proudly distrustful of them.

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2021, 04:22:45 pm »
Gonna go thru mine on wed I?ll let you know on the drones, we normally start splits on Valentine?s Day so will see what happening in my side of florida
Well drones and capped drones in central Florida

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #35 on: January 27, 2021, 04:46:05 pm »

Nice!!!  What are your temperatures?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #36 on: January 27, 2021, 05:59:05 pm »

Gorgeous pics of capped brood.  Enlightenment while I look outside at the pretty white stuff.  Thank you for the pics,
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #37 on: January 27, 2021, 05:59:41 pm »

Signed; Mr. Chilly.

Yes, they're all yellow.  They will slowly propagate themselves by seed.  I planted all mine as tubers.  They ain't a bush, but individual plants that like to grow close together.  I don't usually get more than a couple bees on them but last spring they were all over it.

👍

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #38 on: January 27, 2021, 06:11:57 pm »

Nice!!!  What are your temperatures?
been high 80, have a cold front tomorrow gonna be in 40 over night then back in to the 68-70 Thursday and friday

Offline jtcmedic

• Field Bee
    • Sweetest sting honey
« Reply #39 on: January 27, 2021, 06:15:22 pm »

Gorgeous pics of capped brood.  Enlightenment while I look outside at the pretty white stuff.  Thank you for the pics,
Thank you this hive had 7 frames in multiple stages, really happy with the start of these queens, were my fall OTS queens,