Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Zika problems  (Read 1959 times)

Offline Waveeater

• House Bee
Zika problems
« on: September 02, 2016, 06:36:55 pm »
Not sure if it has already been posted but there was an interesting article in the Washington Post about spraying for mosquitoes in South Carolina and killing a lot of the bees. check it out if you haven't already.

http://HTTPS://Apple.news/AG33n72eFRuOIFyQwoWn1FG

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
Re: Zika problems
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2016, 12:07:21 am »
Oh, man. I feel so sorry for those SC beeks in Dorchester County. What a disaster. It sounds like whoever was in charge of that was completely negligent.

http://www.npr.org/sections/thetwo-way/2016/09/02/492404411/s-c-county-sprays-for-mosquitos-but-accidentally-takes-out-millions-of-bees?utm_medium=RSS&utm_campaign=news

Offline OzarksFarmGirl

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2016, 01:23:28 am »
My heart aches for them.  :cry:

Offline Rurification

• Field Bee
    • Rurification
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2016, 01:46:40 pm »
Robin Edmundson
www.rurification.com

Beekeeping since 2012

Offline little john

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2016, 11:51:10 am »
This snafu is finally getting some international coverage:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-37269745

No notice given of spraying on that scale ?  Beggars belief.  Somebody needs their arse kicking.
LJ
A Heretics Guide to Beekeeping - http://heretics-guide.atwebpages.com

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2016, 12:08:07 pm »
When I heard they were spraying in the Miami, Florida area I looked up the chemical they have been using.
I posted the label warning on my website.
It is the preferred chemical by pesticide companies because it kills mosquito's fast.
Read the article from South Carolina and the one I posted below.
The difference is it is harmful to humans but the South Carolina article says it's not harmful to humans.
I think I'd trust the label I got off the chemical package.
Here is the LABEL

Dibrom Mosquito Spray

for

Zika Virus

Dibrom mosquito spray has the insecticide Naled in it. It is lethal to honeybees birds, fish and some vegetable plants.
 With environmentalists constantly searching for a safer insecticide to deal with those pesky mosquitoes, naled has often been the choice for many. Having been registered for use since 1959 in the United States, about one million pounds of the organophosphate pesticide have been used every year with seventy percent used towards mosquito control. Primarily produced by AMVAC, naled appears to be an ?off-white to straw yellow liquid with a sharp, pungent odour." While reasons for success are relatively simple, its impact upon the environment and society are not.

Impact

Farmers and gardeners alike face the common threat of mosquitoes and the common problem of using a safe yet effective pesticide to deal with them. Accordingly, naled attacks adult mosquitoes hence its classification as an adulticide. Applied by trucks or planes, the aerosol droplets of naled stay suspended in the air temporarily and kill adult mosquitoes upon contact. Like all organophosphate insecticides, naled works by inhibiting acetylcholinesterase (AChE) which is an important enzyme that is involved in the transmission of nerve impulses through nervous tissue. Without this enzyme, the transmissions between nerves become jammed which ultimately leads to paralysis and death.

Because naled effects AChE and is thus toxic to the nervous system, it has been shown to cause some negative side effects in humans such as headaches, nausea and diarrhea. In addition, naled also affects insects that are helpful to the environment and the farmers that use it. Insects such as honey bees are highly susceptible to naled?s effects and the alfalfa leaf cutting bees and alkali bees are at an even greater risk. Parasitoid wasps that lay their eggs in other juvenile insects are also at risk from this pesticide. Essentially, naled limits the diversity of the insect population in the area that it is sprayed. Insects are not all that naled effects, however. Fish such as lake trout, rainbow trout, cutthroat trout and catfish find naled to be highly toxic. For human kind?s feathered friends, the birds, naled can be moderately to highly toxic with the most sensitive bird being the Canada goose. Naled has also been proven to effect reproduction in Mallard ducks. After exposed to the insecticide, these ducks laid fewer eggs and consequently hatched fewer ducklings than unexposed ducks. And just when it seemed the plants were safe, naled has also been known to cause brown lesions in celery and bronzing in strawberries. As well, tomato pollen germination was also greatly reduced.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2016, 06:56:52 pm »
I posted another thread before I saw this one, here's the link:

http://www.naturalnews.com/055188_honeybees_pesticides_Zika.html
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline KeyLargoBees

• Field Bee
    • Pirate Hat Apiary
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2016, 08:26:03 am »
The real difference is inexperienced applicators or media hype I think.....they spray every year from the air in the florida Keys.....probably 8-10 times over the course of the season when the mosquito population gets to a certain level in the traps. There isn't any public outcry because its expected....and really the only thing that lets us live here in the tropics....all this hubub in SC was either caused by someone effing up the application or someone else with an agenda misreporting what actually happened....no beekeeper I know down here has EVER lost an entire colony due to the spray...its done in a micro aerosol form thats targeting the much smaller mosquito....the chemical supposedly has an effective life once sprayed of 30-45 minutes before it becomes inert so there is virtually no residual on the pollen or nectar that the bees bring back to the hive. We do lose active foragers but Hobbyists either lock the bees down in advance (I get 2 e-mails and a call the day prior) of the spray or accept the losses and the colony recovers in a few days as new foragers graduate.

I hate seeing dead bees and personally I think the Zika thing is more smoke and mirrors by the government but this outcry over the aerial spraying is much more likely the result of some tree huggers with an agenda than it is any malicious "attack" on the bees by the government.
Jeff Wingate

Changes in Latitudes...Changes in Attitudes....are Florida Keys bees more laid back than the rest of the country...only time will tell!!!
piratehatapiary@gmail.com https://www.facebook.com/piratehatapiary