Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Fixing wax moth damage" Bee Culture, Feb. 2007 Ann Harman Some questions  (Read 2362 times)

Offline DBoire

• House Bee
Ann Harman discusses preventing wax moth damage by utilizing a "low wattage" light and alternating honey supers.  A photo shows honey supers alternately stacked, 90 deg. to each other with frames showing.  "A hardware cloth top will prevent mice from entering"  I'm assuming this means a hardware cloth top of each individual honey super in the stack?  the frames look exposed.   Presently I stack H. Supers 3 high and place them in a construction bag with PDB but would like to move away from this.  Anyone have experience or clarification?

further questions:
What would the heat build up be? Depends upon wattage?  15 W, 25 W?
How much light is necessary to deter the female wax moth from laying eggs?

D.

Offline Kirk-o

• Queen Bee
Re: "Fixing wax moth damage" Bee Culture, Feb. 2007 Ann Harman Some questions
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2007, 06:26:49 pm »
A lot of bugs like it dark I guess you keep enough lite to keep them out
kirk-o
"It's not about Honey it's not about Money It's about SURVIVAL" Charles Martin Simmon

Offline SteveSC

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2007, 07:17:51 pm »
What would the heat build up be? Depends upon wattage?  15 W, 25 W?
How much light is necessary to deter the female wax moth from laying eggs?

I read the same article.  I think he mentioned a 25W but any wattage would work as long the light reached to the bottom of the stack of supers.  I guess that's why he stacks them 90 degs. to each other..  I always put my supers with frames in a chest freezer 24 hrs. before I think I'll use them just to make sure any moths and\or larva are dead. 

Note:  There's a good article in there on using mite resistance bees also ( Russians ).

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2007, 09:19:02 pm »
I have good luck with certan and just stacking them up so the mice can't get in.

http://www.beeworks.com/catalog/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1&products_id=18

Or Sundance is selling Bt
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin