Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Hanging" a Queen Cell  (Read 1757 times)

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
"Hanging" a Queen Cell
« on: April 21, 2010, 09:25:13 am »
I have a nuc that is producing 4 queen cells.  I would like to cut out one of these queens cells and install it into a NEW nuc that I will create tomorrow.  What's the best way to secure the queen cell in the new nuc?

"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline John Schwartz

• House Bee
    • The Bee Farm
Re: "Hanging" a Queen Cell
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2010, 11:42:44 am »
Takes some practice but the base of the queen cell is pretty solid. You can carefully tear of the cell and bit of surrounding comb. You then can carefully press the base of this into some existing comb without harming the queen and her surrounding cell. You'll want this to be in the center of the cluster.
―John Schwartz, theBee.Farm

Offline Two Bees

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2010, 08:21:49 am »
Will the QC be secure enough if you press the queen cell into a frame of drawn comb?  I would hate for the queen cell to fall onto the bottom board!
"Don't know what I'd do without that boy......but I'm sure willin' to give it a try!"
J.D. Clampett commenting about Jethro Bodine.

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2010, 09:30:55 pm »
Cut the queen cell out leaving an ample of room around it not to destroy the base of the cell. This is sometimes hard to do if you have wired foundation.

Take your thumb and indent the area on the comb of the frame on which you wish to insatll it. Then press the cell in this area. Pick an area in the cluster where the bees will attend the cell (keep warm).
John 3:16