Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: "Honey Spectator": International honey ratings/awards  (Read 2614 times)

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
"Honey Spectator": International honey ratings/awards
« on: August 24, 2007, 03:22:42 pm »
Greetings,

Does anyone know of any resource for honey that performs what Wine Spectator does for wines?  Anything beyond state fairs and local newspaper & beek org awards?  If so, please post info.  If not, there really should be.

Cheers,
Dane

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
Re: "Honey Spectator": International honey ratings/awards
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 04:44:21 pm »
I agree with you on this one. With all the different aromas and flavors there should be some recognition for really good honey.

Perhaps someday!!!

Really enjoy your photos and I am also trying to figure out how to post photos. Just got a digital camera and learning it all right now. Soon I will post some pictures.

Take care
Annette
« Last Edit: August 26, 2007, 12:01:53 am by annette »

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 11:33:37 am »
Hey Dane.  Now that is a good idea.  Wonder if there is.  I bet your honey is so diversified with taste that you could win all categories  ;)  I am so happy for you and the amount of honey that you are getting in your first year, yeah!!!!  Have a wonderful day, greatest of life.  CIndi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Dane Bramage

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 01:24:53 pm »
Thank you kindly ladies! :)  It would be really great if there were such a magazine/resource.  What are the most popular tasting contests (regional, local, etc.,) that are currently available?  The Oregon State fair is going right now.

Annette ~> I'm happy you liked the photos I've posted. Congrats on getting your digi!  Please let me know if I can be of any assistance (just PM me with any q's).

Cindi ~> you're too kind!  I do humbly submit that the first honey of the season I harvested truly could win some awards.  Impressions on the taste have ranged from fruity to roses (& combinations thereof) but the consistent reaction has been that it is very, very good, with the great flavour stronger and lasting longer than any honey previously experienced.  It's really wild and I'm going to make you try some!  The subsequent harvests have also been quite good but I would just rate them as that - good light honey.  Not boring like clover at all but not spectacular like this first wetland's blackberry honey.  I'm going to have all my hives ready to go so I (God willing) get loads of that blackberry honey next year!

Perhaps we should amp up the honey exchange and start our own taste judging?  We could do it with small samples and have a panel of judges - exchange reviews for honey.  I'd be willing to send a bunch of small samples out just to get other's impressions.  Might be fun. :)

Cheers,
Dane

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2007, 12:02:40 am »
Dane, I'm in, let's make a game plan!!!!  I would love to be a tester of the test of your honeys, yeah!!!!  Best of this beautiful day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2007, 10:51:23 pm »
Dane,

If I need any further assistance with posting photos,  I will PM you as you offered. Thank you so much.

Annette

anything