Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Varroa detected in Australia  (Read 45664 times)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
Re: Varroa detected in Australia
« Reply #340 on: November 14, 2023, 06:54:01 am »
>(must be paradichlorobenzene, NOT naphthelene to be safe for bees)

Neither are good for bees or humans, but PDB is the "approved" treatment even though it is a carcinogen.  I would not use either, but for sure air them out well after using the PDB.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #341 on: November 19, 2023, 07:36:50 pm »
A wet day, well we hope we get some decent rain. No weather for bees.

This from Lex Pryor
The problem is they die. You have probably heard this. The number of colonies in the U.S.?2.7 million?is less than half what it was at the midpoint of the 20th century, and it has remained flat since the early 2000s. Virtually every year for the past two decades, U.S. beekeepers are tasked with replacing the third or more of their stock that perish after pollinating the very crops that required the bees in the first place. It is a shell game with titanic stakes. (In other words, it?s very American.) It works how it works because we made it to

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #342 on: November 19, 2023, 07:41:42 pm »
>(must be paradichlorobenzene, NOT naphthelene to be safe for bees)

Neither are good for bees or humans, but PDB is the "approved" treatment even though it is a carcinogen.  I would not use either, but for sure air them out well after using the PDB.
It is Pophine ( PH), Michael.
Some beekeepers here use it against Moths and also to kill hives ( rather then petrol/gasoline)
They air the boxes and frames very well and can use the gear again.
I have never used it.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #343 on: November 19, 2023, 07:44:11 pm »
Sealing frames does not work at all unless you do something to kill the eggs.  Freezing works.  But if you can't do that then the best is lots of light and fresh air.  The more sealed up things are the worse the wax moths are.
I did wrap AND FREEZE!
Wax moths did get in...no idea how

You might have 'wrapped and froze' but apparently you didn't "SEAL" as Mr Bush instructed. The wax moth needs a very small place to enter and cause destruction.

I did freeze the bag ( minus 10C for 48 hrs), and I did seal it BUT The Southern Piercing Moth must have made a few holes.
We also have other virmin here. They seem to be able to smell honey from a country lime :angry:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #344 on: November 19, 2023, 07:51:30 pm »
Thanks Max for explaining  about the Southern Piercing Moth. We don?t deal with that type of moth here that I am aware of. Now other Vermin such as Mice can very well open the door so to speak for wax moths to enter, not counting the damage the mice themself can do.

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #345 on: November 20, 2023, 12:03:11 am »
Sorry, Philip, the Southern Piercing Moth was a joke.
We are in the subtropics and the number of creatures which eat your clothes, wood, was and , yes, plastic seems without limits.

Beekeeping in our climate is a bit like gardening - there is always one creature after your share of the harvest.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #346 on: December 03, 2023, 08:27:12 pm »

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #348 on: December 11, 2023, 01:16:07 am »
Sorry, Philip, the Southern Piercing Moth was a joke.
We are in the subtropics and the number of creatures which eat your clothes, wood, was and , yes, plastic seems without limits.

Beekeeping in our climate is a bit like gardening - there is always one creature after your share of the harvest.

Max I missed this reply until now. lol. I fell for it hook, line, and sinker! 😂
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7

Online Lesgold

• Queen Bee
« Reply #350 on: December 14, 2023, 08:54:31 pm »
The spread of varroa continues. It has been found in the western areas of Sydney. It?s like a slow moving freight train that is unstoppable. I hear quite a few rumours about people not testing their hives. If true, the spread of the pest will occur at a relatively quick rate as hive movements are still possible if you are outside the designated risk areas.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #353 on: December 21, 2023, 04:17:47 am »
This summary jas just been mailed:
https://www.dpi.nsw.gov.au/__data/assets/pdf_file/0010/1486513/DPI-Primefact-Varroa-mite-management-options_final-.pdf?&mkt_tok=NjQzLU5PRy0zMDAAAAGQKRMptKZFuOd_WQv-eQtZY7-mjKpHpeFPXZPCI-a-UAmMx-M718tXMeLDMEfEZNl3jSthviIYa_zL3T1wWyvZzFkff8Yefw7EXGHWesyi

It looks to me a good one and quite comprehensive.

The problem is that for us, in the subtropics , it does not offer any acceptable solutions.

We are never broodless, we may take honey off any time during the year.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #354 on: January 29, 2024, 05:54:28 pm »
I understand that meetings have been held and a plan of attack is about to be released.
Farmers down South are in trouble.
Pumpkin, Zucchini and melon farmers report very poor yields - no bees, no pollination.
We have an interesting few years ahead.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #355 on: February 12, 2024, 06:13:29 pm »
Good news!

Our DPI is starting to offer workshops in varroa management.
They also have published a booklet ( free) which should make it easy to keep track of management.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee

Offline max2

• Queen Bee