Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Drone comb for Varroa  (Read 2416 times)

Offline Hotburn76

• New Bee
Drone comb for Varroa
« on: June 27, 2014, 11:04:00 am »
Was wanting to try this method for varroa and have purchased the green drone comb frames.  Was curious as to the timing on when I should be installing them here in NW Ohio.  Also do I put them in the top deep or the bottom one?  
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 01:10:07 pm by Hotburn76 »
Jason Johnston

Offline Spear

• House Bee
Re: Drone comb for Varroa
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 04:12:46 pm »
It makes no difference if you put the drone comb frames in the top or bottom as long as they are put as the outer frames. To be honest I really can't remember the reason for doing this, something about the pollen frame always being the second last frame then a frame of honey and if you put the drone frame before the pollen frame then the bees will just make the brood space smaller by storing the pollen in to frame before the drone frame... Something like that... So anyway just put the drone frames on the outside slots and all should be fine...

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 08:42:46 pm »
Put one in the top deep. That way you do not have to take the brood area apart to remove/replace them. You will need a couple of them. One in the hive. One in the freezer. Remove the comb as soon as it is capped and freeze it for a couple of days. The idea is that the varroa prefer drone brood over workers and you kill them in the freezer and then the bees clean them up the next time you put them back.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline capt44

• Field Bee
  • If it don't work I'll always think it should have
    • RV BEES
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 11:35:36 pm »
I use the Green Plastic Drone frames.
I've used them for around 4 yrs or so now.
The varroa mite likes the Drone cells for 2 reasons.
The cell is bigger and 2nd the Drone stays in the Cell for 23 days.
I remove the capped foundation and freeze if for at least 24 hours.
I then set it out and let it warm up some then use a decapping fork and uncap the cells.
I then put the green frames back in the hive for the bees to clean them up.
It's just for management of varroa mites.
I usually wind up doing a sugar roll test, treat in September when the Temperatures drop below 90 degrees F.
Richard Vardaman (capt44)

Offline Hotburn76

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: June 29, 2014, 07:18:30 pm »
Thanks guys! Will have to put them in and cross my fingers!
Jason Johnston

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 05:38:16 am »
Thanks guys! Will have to put them in and cross my fingers!
NP.
Keep in mind that timing is important. If you have a real problem, you do not want them hatching out. Also keep in mind that it takes a frame of pollen and a frame of honey to feed that frame of drones you are going to freeze.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin