Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: washing gloves  (Read 2297 times)

Offline beebeeking

• New Bee
washing gloves
« on: September 03, 2006, 01:16:39 pm »
Does anyone have any advice on how to wash leather/canvas gloves?  Mine are pretty funked up with propolis and also I think the bees have marked them with their venom (by stinging the gloves).  I've noticed that bees buzz around me defensively even when I'm not yet in the hive, but am wearing my suit and gloves.  How often should one wash ones gloves? And how? (Im not ready to go glove-less).

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
washing gloves
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2006, 01:55:47 pm »
i think you can wash them with water-to get off the honey, and put them into freezer and then crumble off the propolis.

Offline yoderski

• House Bee
washing gloves
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2006, 03:50:06 pm »
To keep them soft after washing with soap and water, you can add some olive oil or other vegetable oile and rub a small amount in.  they will be as good as new....
Jon Y.
Atmore, AL

Offline BEE C

• House Bee
washing gloves
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2006, 04:59:33 pm »
Mici is right, freeze them for getting off propolis, and wash infrequently if possible.  I've went through two pairs this season.  Definitely don't let them dry out in a hot car or in the sun... :( I had to pick out stingers to keep them from being marked...)

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
washing gloves
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2006, 06:52:18 pm »
I wash them with soap and water (while on my hands) then if they are stiff, I put FGMO on them and rub in until they are soft again.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
washing gloves
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2006, 06:54:35 pm »
(sorry, this posted in the wrong thread)
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline mark

• House Bee
washing gloves
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2006, 11:19:14 pm »
a fairly strong solution of washing soda does a good job on the propolis.   i wear them while i'm washing them and then olive oil if needed.   work your bees slower if u r taking  a lot of stings