Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Got my new queen this morning  (Read 1971 times)

Offline tom

• House Bee
Got my new queen this morning
« on: August 30, 2006, 11:23:11 am »
Hello All

I got my queen this morning from honeyrunapiaries and she is a beautiful one but she has been making a noise that i have never heard from any of the queens i have gotten before it is a sort of whining noise as she is walking around in the cage she is not running but she makes this noise and the workers with her gets out of her way why is she making this noise is it because she is mad or scared.

Tom

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2006, 01:03:55 pm »
sounds to me like you have heard a queen piping, that's the sound they make when challenging another queen... is it this sound (make sure speakers are on)

http://kutikshoney.com/nucs/piping.htm
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline tom

• House Bee
Yes that is the sound
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2006, 06:19:14 pm »
Hello TwT

Thats it thats the sound i am hearing from her and she was in my room out of the heat and sun. I went out and replaced my old one and i put her in i did not wait this time like i did with my third hive. But i am glad to say that my thirs hive is all NWC Bees now and now the rain is coming and they all were out gathering pollen from the plants that bloomed after the rain i am going to keep her in the cage for a few days and then i will let her go will she do this pipping while she is in the hive and about how long will it take for the bees to get her scent because we are going to get rain for the next four day from ernesto so the fall flow just might put them over the top for the winter they have storedd plenty of syrup and pollen but i will release her sunday.

Tom

Offline TwT

• Senior Forum
  • Galactic Bee
  • Ted
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2006, 11:35:51 pm »
she may be piping or may not, it happens to young queens mostly, she will be fine.. good luck!!
THAT's ME TO THE LEFT JUST 5 MONTHS FROM NOW!!!!!!!!

Never be afraid to try something new.
Amateurs built the ark,
Professionals built the Titanic

Offline tom

• House Bee
Thank you
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2006, 12:03:41 am »
Hello TwT

I hope that this rain last for a couple of days it has been raining here since 5 this evening we are alreaddy having flash floods so this rain may be the help for the fall flow. I am going to wait till the rain has gone before i go and release her which will be by saturday evening we have already gotten two inches of rain and this is just the beginning the fall flow should be good for me.

Tom

anything