Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Do you think the Ventilated Suit worth the extra expense?  (Read 6396 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Do you think the Ventilated Suit worth the extra expense?
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2017, 12:30:02 pm »
Admit it, it is not the IPad.  :cheesy:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Mech

• New Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2017, 07:09:35 pm »
Just reading this makes me grin.
I love it.
Tyvek is an inexpensive vapor barrier (sp? 🤔).
For me my type of bee protection really depends on how my girls are doing.
I'm not one of them macho never a suit guys but if it's warm and they are busy bringing in supplies they really don't care about me.
Sometimes I can wear sandals,shorts and a tee shirt.
There are also days when they can be semi devils or even pure evil.
I dress up by the way I read them but I am often a "half a bubble off".
BTW you don't look fat...I look fat😜.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2017, 07:30:23 am »
I'm currently in the market to replace our cotton ones. Not only do I wear the cotton suit but I have to wear a tee shirt and long sleeve shirt under it to keep from getting so many stings. It's a killer in this Alabama heat. It won't be much longer and someone going to find me laying on top of a knocked over bee hive. Here's the one I'm looking at if you have any experience or have heard anything about these suits please chime in. I'm looking at the ventilated suit with the open veil;

https://glorybee.com/beekeeping/suits-jackets/beekeeping-suits
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2017, 07:40:28 am »
Is there a reason for a full suit? Do you have to deal with African bees?  Why not use just a jacket?
I have had to deal with some pretty mean bees and the jacket and jeans fully protected me.
I could see using one to allow you to use shorts.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline SawBee

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: June 05, 2017, 12:17:58 am »
I got an UltraBreeze full suit about 3 years ago.  I like it as it offers good protection and is cooler than a cotton suit.  Last year I got a Bug Baffler Hooded jacket.  It is even cooler than the Ultra Breeze.  Occasionally a determined bee will get me through the Bug  Baffler on the arm, but not very often.  I use a hat inside the hood to hold the hood away from my face.
I haven't used my UltraBreeze full suit since I got the Bug Baffler Hooded Jacket.  I got one one size larger than their weight/size chart recommended.  It is quick and easy to pullover your head like a large button-less shirt.   With a tee shirt under it you stay pretty cool. 
No, I don't work for BugBaffler.  But, if I did I would recommend they advertise in Beekeeping magazines.

https://www.bugbaffler.com

Offline splitrock

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: June 05, 2017, 06:57:11 am »
one other thing to consider,

With the ultr-breeze, you can get a replacement hood if your veil gets damaged. Some of the other cheaper suits,  one is not offered.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #26 on: June 05, 2017, 08:18:39 am »
Some of my bees will get absolutely crazy at times. They will crawl under where your glove meets your sleeve and sting you on the hand.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2017, 08:43:19 am »
ventilated suit with the open veil;

I don't think I would want an open veil....    :)

I have been thinking about a different design than my ultra breeze fencing hood.  It is ok most of the time, but gets in the way on some removals.  Of course, most designs would when digging up in a soffit.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2017, 10:23:05 am »
Some of my bees will get absolutely crazy at times. They will crawl under where your glove meets your sleeve and sting you on the hand.

That's rough. My bees never act that aggressive. Although I am getting tired of this rainy weather as I need to check my hives and check for honey. So if it does not clear up soon I might have to put suit to the test.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2017, 01:24:14 pm »
Is there a reason for a full suit? Do you have to deal with African bees?  Why not use just a jacket?

That is what I do but it is still hotter then heck.  The heat is one of the reasons I don't harvest in the summer.
My jacket is cotton.  I don't know how much cooler a ventilated suit would be.  I guess I will have to try one if I stay with bees.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything