Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Starting to like to 8 frame deeps and mediums, any down side?  (Read 7724 times)

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
Re: Starting to like to 8 frame deeps and mediums, any down side?
« Reply #40 on: May 31, 2017, 01:15:46 am »
The only information I've gathered so far has been related to 2-queen systems - meaning '2-queen honey production systems' in which, by the taking of two 1x-strength hives, and putting them close together with a single stack of supers over, common to both hives - the honey yield has then vastly increased, well in excess of '2x'. In several articles, the increase in the amount of honey returned by effectively doubling the brood strength was dramatic - several hundred pounds per 'twin-hive', contrasted with seventy or eighty per individual hive.  Thus it would appear that there is an exponential correlation between brood box strength and honey-gathering potential.  Little John

Dead on LJ,
When I read Brian drone on I just have to laugh.
Exactly how many hives and what is your honey production Brian?

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #41 on: May 31, 2017, 04:34:39 am »
The only information I've gathered so far has been related to 2-queen systems - meaning '2-queen honey production systems' in which, by the taking of two 1x-strength hives, and putting them close together with a single stack of supers over, common to both hives - the honey yield has then vastly increased, well in excess of '2x'. In several articles, the increase in the amount of honey returned by effectively doubling the brood strength was dramatic - several hundred pounds per 'twin-hive', contrasted with seventy or eighty per individual hive.  Thus it would appear that there is an exponential correlation between brood box strength and honey-gathering potential.  Little John

Dead on LJ,

Like I said location location location. It would be very difficult to run a 2 Queens system at the location I'm at presently. Colonies would be about twice as high. This would be modified especially on a 8 frame an hives. In my opinion also make the hive very tall..

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #42 on: May 31, 2017, 07:21:54 am »
Jim134
I can't think of a commercial bee keeper able to run a stationary operation in Southern Australia.
I would love to be able to as fuel is our biggest expense, our bee vehicle will probably do 40,000 miles in 12 months, mostly on bee work.
I have been trying  to find a site for 50 hives that would be stationary but we would have too many gaps in summer if trees did not yield consistently and then feeding vs shift to the nectar flow. Shift seems easier than 4-6 weeks of feeding.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #43 on: May 31, 2017, 08:50:10 am »
Jim134
I can't think of a commercial bee keeper able to run a stationary operation in Southern Australia.
I would love to be able to as fuel is our biggest expense, our bee vehicle will probably do 40,000 miles in 12 months, mostly on bee work.
I have been trying  to find a site for 50 hives that would be stationary but we would have too many gaps in summer if trees did not yield consistently and then feeding vs shift to the nectar flow. Shift seems easier than 4-6 weeks of feeding.

I personally don't see how your posts anything to do with 8 frame beehives but that's okay. Do hope you have a great adventure in beekeeping.  :wink:

BEE HAPPY Jim134  :smile:
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #44 on: May 31, 2017, 09:59:11 am »
I personally don't see how your posts anything to do with 8 frame beehives but that's okay.

It sounds like he is making a living using 8 frame equipment.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2017, 06:46:09 pm »
My post may have got off topic a bit, but I suppose I am saying that an 8 frame system is very suited to continuous shifting.
The ramble about our operation supports my preference for 8 frame deeps, and as this forum is very US dominated I thought it might give an insight into another countries bee industry.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #46 on: May 31, 2017, 11:35:46 pm »
My post may have got off topic a bit, but I suppose I am saying that an 8 frame system is very suited to continuous shifting.
The ramble about our operation supports my preference for 8 frame deeps, and as this forum is very US dominated I thought it might give an insight into another countries bee industry.

Most all migratory beekeepers in the United States use ten frame boxes. Migratory operations that used certified Russian bees. Used 8 frame hives. Believe it or not certified Russian bees do have more brood on eight frames then on 10 frames. In the springtime.

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #47 on: June 01, 2017, 08:23:04 am »
Jim134
Tell me about certified Russian bees, why do migratory bee keepers use them?
Never heard of them in Australia.
We use Italians as we believe the queens are quicker to respond to a nectar flow than Caucasians.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #48 on: June 01, 2017, 09:46:31 am »
as this forum is very US dominated I thought it might give an insight into another countries bee industry.

I appreciate your input even though I am not part of the industry.  I am sure there are others getting older who like to hear from those successful with 8 frame equipment on a commercial basis.  You keep right on a posting.  Thanks.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #49 on: June 02, 2017, 12:00:38 am »
Jim134
Tell me about certified Russian bees, why do migratory bee keepers use them?
Never heard of them in Australia.
We use Italians as we believe the queens are quicker to respond to a nectar flow than Caucasians.

There are only about 18 breeders in the world for certified Russian Queen bees. At the present time they are only in the USA . I do know they're trying to expand Canada. One thing to remember these are not your grandfather's bee. I don't believe you could import them due to possible introduction of the varroa mite. The last I knew Austria is the only place in the world that's not infected by varroa mite. The biggest reason why some commercial beekeeping use them. tolerance to varroa mites..

http://www.russianbreeder.org/                 

BEE HAPPY Jim 134 :smile:
        Chinese Proverb

John F. Kennedy

Offline yes2matt

• Field Bee
  • Urban setting, no acaricides
    • Love Me Some Honey
« Reply #50 on: June 06, 2017, 03:54:23 pm »

Dead on LJ,
If I could just clarify:  if I had two "double deep 8fr" hives, I could put them right next together and stack some 10fr mediums centered on the pair. And both colonies would work together on the common super?

That would expose a couple of frames at the top of each brood nest, and I'd need a little cover on each side. But then I could feed in frames of brood from a couple nucs, without tearing down the stack.

This is possible? Reasonable? 

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #51 on: June 06, 2017, 05:56:25 pm »
Yes, but keep in mind you are adding brood frames to the outside of the box.  OK in summer but not in cold months.  I don't like the idea of a tower because now you really got to be on top of the supers filling to fast and if they don't cap them it is a pain.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #52 on: June 07, 2017, 05:17:25 pm »
>This is possible?

Yes.

> Reasonable?

Yes.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

anything