Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Wax Worms to the Rescue!  (Read 2992 times)

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Wax Worms to the Rescue!
« on: April 24, 2017, 01:41:52 pm »
The insect is able to quickly biodegrade polyethylene, the plastic used for shopping bags and food packaging

Spanish National Research Council (CSIC)

A research scientist at the Spanish National Research Council (CSIC), Federica Bertocchini, has discovered that wax worms (Galleria mellonella), which usually feed on honey and wax from the honeycombs of bees, are capable of degrading plastic. This worm is capable of biodegrading polyethylene, one of the toughest plastic materials that exists, and which is used to make shopping bags and food packaging, amongst other things. The discovery has been patented by the research scientists. The CSIC scientist worked on this research with Paolo Bombelli and Chris Howe from the University of Cambridge. The paper will be published in the next issue of Current Biology.

Every year, around 80 million tonnes of polyethylene, a material which is extremely tough and difficult to degrade, are produced around the world. For example, low-density polyethylene plastic bags, take around 100 years to decompose completely, with the toughest, most resistant ones taking up to 400 years to break down. Every year, the average person uses more than 230 plastic bags, generating more than 100,000 tons of this type of plastic waste.

Currently, the very long processes of chemical degradation, which require the use of corrosive liquids such as nitric acid can take up to several months. This is the first time that a scientific research team has found a natural solution which has proven itself capable of degrading this material. "Plastic is a global problem. Nowadays waste can be found everywhere, including in rivers and oceans. Polyethylene in particular is very resistant, and as such is very difficult to degrade naturally", says the CSIC researcher who works at the Institute of Biomedicine and Biotechnology of Cantabria, situated in Santander, on Spain's northern coast.

"We have carried out many experiments to test the efficacy of these worms in biodegrading polyethylene. 100 wax worms are capable of biodegrading 92 milligrams of polyethylene in 12 hours, which really is very fast", says Bertocchini. Following the larva phase, the worm wraps itself in a whitish-coloured cocoon or chrysalis. The researchers also discovered that by simply having the cocoon in contact with polyethylene, the plastic biodegrades.

The composition of beeswax is similar to that of polyethylene. According to the researchers, this may be the reason why the worm has developed a mechanism to dispose of this type of plastic. "We still don't know the details of how this biodegradation occurs, but there is a possibility that an enzyme is responsible. The next step is to detect, isolate, and produce this enzyme in vitro on an industrial scale. In this way, we can begin to successfully eliminate this highly resistant material", explains Bertocchini.

A chance discovery
The scientist, who is also an amateur beekeeper, discovered this attribute of wax worms quite by chance. One day she discovered that the honeycomb panels stored in her house were covered with worms which were feeding on the leftover honey and wax from her bees.

"I removed the worms, and put them in a plastic bag while I cleaned the panels. After finishing, I went back to the room where I had left the worms and I found that they were everywhere. They had escaped from the bag even though it had been closed and when I checked, I saw that the bag was full of holes. There was only one explanation: the worms had made the holes and had escaped. This project began there and then", says the CSIC scientist.

The wax worm
The wax worm, also known as the honey worm, is a lepidopteran insect which can reach three centimeters in length in its larval phase and can be found anywhere in the world. They feed on honey and wax in beehives, where they also find a suitable temperature for their development.

Wax worm larvae have a life expectancy of between six and seven weeks at an optimal temperature for growth of 28 to 34 degrees Celsius. The larvae produce silk and make a cocoon in which they will go through their last metamorphosis: their conversion into moths.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Re: Wax Worms to the Rescue!
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2017, 02:20:35 pm »
So that's great if it can be upscaled to a huge degree. Bad for a beekeeper in the area who now will have a ton of moths in the area. Lol
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Beeboy01

• Field Bee
  • Oh Look A Honey Bee !!!
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2017, 07:28:27 pm »
They make a great fresh water bait also. I see a possible emergent industry by recycling plastic bags and use them to raise wax worms for fishing. ;)

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2017, 08:50:01 pm »
Interesting read!

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2017, 08:19:50 am »
I always suspected that wax moths were living on something else.  There are too many of them to just come from bee hives...
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 25, 2017, 12:41:40 pm »
So that's great if it can be upscaled to a huge degree. Bad for a beekeeper in the area who now will have a ton of moths in the area. Lol
Ditto that.
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2017, 01:10:18 pm »
Yep and you know that this will be seen as beneficial to the environment but still detrimental to the bees.

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2017, 01:49:16 pm »
This just goes to show that everything has a place in the ecosystem. I hate the little creeps but maybe they will saves us from our love of plastics, something else I loathe.
Neill

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2017, 11:24:16 pm »
The timing of your post is really something.  I heard this story on the radio on the way home from work just today.  Now I can read this to my husband instead of trying to repeat what I heard!  I also read (when humans weren't interfering) that when a hive in the wild would die from EFB or AFB the wax moths would consume all the wax in the bee tree and make the spot habitable by another hive.  This was before humans even knew about honey, I guess.
When you come to a fork in the road.....take it.

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2017, 01:14:30 pm »
The timing of your post is really something.  I heard this story on the radio on the way home from work just today.  Now I can read this to my husband instead of trying to repeat what I heard!  I also read (when humans weren't interfering) that when a hive in the wild would die from EFB or AFB the wax moths would consume all the wax in the bee tree and make the spot habitable by another hive.  This was before humans even knew about honey, I guess.
When left alone, nature has a way of taking care of its self.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Eric Bosworth

• Field Bee
  • I love New York... I hate the government.
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2017, 02:53:49 pm »
Having seen the damage of wax moths... I hate them... But in the words of Phil Collins "You always have to see both sides of the story..." There is a silver lining in every cloud... Perhaps we could train them to attack plastic garbage and leave bees alone...
All political power comes from the barrel of a gun. The communist party must command all the guns; that way, no guns can ever be used to command the party. ---Mao Tse Tung

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. ---Benjamin Franklin

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2017, 01:10:38 am »
Everything has a purpose - evident or not.

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2017, 01:56:55 am »
When left alone, nature has a way of taking care of its self.
Jim
Yup!  I'm sure they devoured old, black comb, too, but toxins weren't such an issue then.

Offline beecanbee

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2017, 05:05:16 am »
After cleaning, having swept the bottom board residue into a dust pan, I burn the residue along with any old comb that was infested while stored.  It makes for a nice little flame that warms my sad heart.  Better than leaving that mess on the ground in front of the hive to attract other predators by its odor.  Plus the buring wax does attract hornets that I can then net, and dispatch.
"I come from a state that raises corn and cotton and cockleburs and Democrats, and frothy eloquence neither convinces nor satisfies me. I am from Missouri. You have got to show me."  Duncan Vandiver

A boy can do half the work of a man, but two boys do less, and three boys get nothing done at all. :)

(False) Patriotism is the last refuge of a scoundrel.  - Samuel Johnson

Offline tycrnp

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 01, 2017, 11:28:14 am »
Great! Now just tell me where to send the little buggers. :wink:

Offline brookscj

• New Bee
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2017, 04:10:28 pm »
Next time I have a dead out full of waxmoth I'll stuff it full of all my plastic bags and start the latest recycling craze!  I could put one at the front of my grocery store to replace there bag recycling bin too.
"Flowers always make people better, happier, and more helpful; they are sunshine, food and medicine for the soul."  Luther Burbank