Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Bear Attack  (Read 2924 times)

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Bear Attack
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2022, 11:26:51 am »
  x2

If cannot find her, you could combine with a queen excluder and give the bees time to sort it out.  They will keep which of the two queens they like and dispatch the other (if there is another).  It would take a week or so for that to happen. Then you could go back and remove the excluder.
However, the better decision may be as you say -take the loss-   Let them run the course.  You will either end up with a weak queenrite hive or old laying worker hive to shake out later.

All three scenarios are equally probable outcomes ..
« Last Edit: October 08, 2022, 12:34:29 am by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Bear Attack
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2022, 12:30:35 pm »
You could do what THP said but put a honey super above the excluder and they will keep two queens.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline NigelP

• House Bee
« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2022, 02:04:56 pm »
  x2

If cannot find her, you could combine with a queen excluder and give the bees time to sort it out.  T

All good advice, appreciated.  But to my mind simply not worth the effort to save some bees that only have weeks to live anyway. It will only increase mouths to feed in another hive for no positive gain for the colony. Harsh on my part, but practical and IF she does start laying......well we shall see.
To keep in line with original thread, had a squirrel gnawing my hives. We came to the same agreement as your bear, albeit with an air rifle. :)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2022, 09:43:33 pm »
Keep us updated on the hive Nigel. Congratulations on you successful debate with the 'not quiet so savvy, (little agile rodent)' Mr Squirrel. lol

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #24 on: October 08, 2022, 03:55:44 am »
    I know where I kept Bee. In the USA.. One of my   Bee yard shut down about 90% .. By the  end  August. I had another big yard about one hour North.. Most of the time it was about one month later.. Before the Queen stop laying.. It's always about location location location..

BEE  HAPPY  Jim134  😊
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/

Offline Donovan J

• House Bee
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2022, 06:54:12 pm »
Final Update: bees have successfully made a queen and she's been busy laying a ton over the past week. The top box is full of eggs and small larvae and I have renewed confidence for them over the winter
3rd year of beekeeping and I still have lots to learn

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Bear Attack
« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2022, 05:39:59 pm »

CONGRATS !
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2022, 07:59:37 pm »
🤗
Glad it worked out.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2022, 12:44:09 pm »
Its always encouraging to hear of success! 'Thank you' for the good news 'update'!

Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything