Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Distress pheromone  (Read 1591 times)

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Distress pheromone
« on: July 31, 2018, 10:31:05 pm »
First I would like to ask, is it true that distressed bee put off a distressed pheromone? If so, does anyone know if there is a scent  that mimics this distress pheromone which is released by bees who have become queen less?   Thanks, , Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bush_84

• Field Bee
Re: Distress pheromone
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2018, 10:34:50 pm »
I have not heard of that but that doesn?t mean it doesn?t exist.
Keeping bees since 2011.

Also please excuse the typos.  My iPad autocorrect can be brutal.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2018, 10:46:21 pm »
I have not heard of that but that doesn?t mean it doesn?t exist.

Thanks Bush-84. I am trying to get the "tools" together to go to war with the small hive beetle, and if it is true that the distressed hive does indeed put out a distressed pheromone, and if it's true that the SHB are attracted to this type of weak hive, then this could be an important tool to use against them? What do you think? I have shared some of my thoughts in my last post on the topic, which is titled .
" How to lure small hive beetles to their death? " as always I appreciate you stepping in and helping me Mr Bush. Not only you but others as well.  By the way I have the oxalic vaporizer almost finished that you gave me the information for. Thanks again Mr. Bush  Sincerely, Phillip
« Last Edit: July 31, 2018, 11:00:40 pm by Ben Framed »
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2018, 11:22:23 pm »
Phillip,
There is some kind of distress pheromone that the bees put out.
When a hive swarms, the SHBs will swarm the hive. Some beekeepers will stress a hive to make the SHBs attack that hive and not the others. It does work.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2018, 12:28:45 am »
Phillip,
There is some kind of distress pheromone that the bees put out.
When a hive swarms, the SHBs will swarm the hive. Some beekeepers will stress a hive to make the SHBs attack that hive and not the others. It does work.
Jim

Thanks Jim,  I thought that I had read or heard that somewhere. Now for my next question. Do you happen to know what will mimic this scent, I really don't want to stress out a hive to use for bait. I only want to trick the SHB into thinking that my decoy box is the real thing. If not, perhaps you might know someone, somewhere, that might be able to help me with this?  I think paus is on this and has something up his sleeve also.  Thanks, Phillip

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2018, 08:08:11 am »
I have never seen any write up that even tried to decipher what the stress pheromone is. I do know you can mask it just by putting a weak and queenless hive on top of a queen right hive. I have done this and it worked very well.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2018, 01:45:55 pm »
2-Heptanone

This is the honeybees alarm pheromone.  If you plan on using this pheromone understand you will be viciously attacked, even by gentle bees.

While we are on the subject of Honey bee scents, Bother Adam states:
Creosote promotes robbing
Whereas
Carbolic acid repels robbing.

Also: Oleic acid is a queen pheromone used to attract and catch drones.  I have a bottle, not much smell to me.
« Last Edit: August 01, 2018, 02:17:54 pm by Van, Arkansas, USA »

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2018, 03:00:07 pm »
2-Heptanone

This is the honeybees alarm pheromone.  If you plan on using this pheromone understand you will be viciously attacked, even by gentle bees.

While we are on the subject of Honey bee scents, Bother Adam states:
Creosote promotes robbing
Whereas
Carbolic acid repels robbing.

Also: Oleic acid is a queen pheromone used to attract and catch drones.  I have a bottle, not much smell to me.

Thanks Van for your reply. Good information! With your background I know you already know the following but for anyone else's benefit,  According to Wikipedia- Oleic acid is a fatty acid that occurs naturally in various animal and vegetable fats and oils. It is an odorless, colorless oil, although commercial samples may be yellowish. In chemical terms, oleic acid is classified as a monounsaturated omega-9 fatty acid, abbreviated with a lipid number of 18:1 cis-9. It has the formula CH3(CH2)7CH=CH(CH2)7COOH.[2] The "eic acid" identifies the group as a carboxylic acid, and "Ol" is derived from olive oil, which is mostly composed of oleic acid-rich triglycerides. It is the most common fatty acid in nature.[3]

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #8 on: August 01, 2018, 03:11:44 pm »
Van,
This is also according to Wikipedia. 
2-Heptanone, also known as methyl n-amyl ketone, or Heptan-2-one, is a ketone with the molecular formula C7H14O. It is a colorless, water-like liquid with a banana-like, fruity odor. Thank you so much for your help. I now remember JP saying that this smelled like a banana smell in one of his videos. Thank each of you for your help and educating me on this. Thanks to each one who has replied.

Sincerely, Phillip

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2018, 03:34:33 pm »
A hive being robbed has a distinct sound.  A dissonant sound.  If you've every had an observation hive in the house that is being robbed you would definitely notice.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Van, Arkansas, USA

« Reply #10 on: August 01, 2018, 05:02:49 pm »
A good point MB.  I realize hives make different sounds especially when queenless, but I have not learn to differentiate between sounds, they all sound the same to me.  I?m sure a good ear could distinguish between hive sounds.