Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Africanized bees confirmed in Alabama  (Read 4059 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Africanized bees confirmed in Alabama
« on: March 20, 2017, 02:01:41 pm »
I don't know where except North Alabama. Our former president who now holds office at the (beekeeping) state level was talking to me today. He said that a dog was attacked and killed by some bees. A sample was taken from the hive and it tested positive for Africanized bees. If I understood him this was in the last week or two. All hives were destroyed. I understood it to be the first case of established AHB in this state.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Re: Africanized bees confirmed in Alabama
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2017, 02:29:51 pm »
Odd I thought they would have come south first

Offline Jeff L.

• New Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2017, 04:45:29 pm »
I would bet they were/are in South Alabama, or else they were found close to an airport or shipping hub.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2017, 05:01:18 pm »
Well the post said they were in North Alabama so they had to come in from some where.

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2017, 05:10:17 pm »
My guess would be it was a package from Texas or Florida, with a young, newly mated queen that had mated with Africans, but was shipped from the mating box before the young began emerging.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2017, 06:00:00 pm »
If we do get African bees here everyone will freak out and knowing Alabama then we will pass some really dumb laws.

Offline Dallasbeek

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2017, 07:09:39 pm »
If we do get African bees here everyone will freak out and knowing Alabama then we will pass some really dumb laws.

Why should Alabama be any different than all the other states?  At least in Texas the legislature only meets every other year.
"Liberty lives in the hearts of men and women; when it dies there, no constitution, no laws, no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand, 1944

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2017, 09:51:32 am »

Why should Alabama be any different than all the other states?  At least in Texas the legislature only meets every other year.

In Alabama we have a special kind of bad legislature.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2017, 03:00:31 pm »
My guess would be it was a package from Texas or Florida You hit the nail on the head. A queen supplier from Texas shipped the queens to the beek. It wasn't just Alabama that this happened to it was a couple more states. In each case the Africanized hive was re-queened with a queen from this supplier. I'm not going to call any names.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline Jeff L.

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2017, 04:25:08 pm »
It seems that a lot of the hype/media overkill about Africanized honeybees has died down. Even looking at the USDA ARS map, the last time it was updated was 2011.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2017, 10:20:10 am »
Have the Africanized bees gotten calmer?

Offline dott

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2017, 10:18:16 am »
There is a long tread about this on beesource. When the time frame they were found is a little fuzzy (dates and year). What I got out of it was queen/queens was from Texas and when tested they were 18% Africanized. They were in N. Al. Then moved into Tenn. b-4 the state inspectors got involved

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2017, 02:19:35 pm »
Thanks for the info Dott, 18% and they stung a dog to death. I caught a 'possum in a live trap in my bee yard. When I went to get it out there was 15-20 bees on the 'possum stinging it.

Offline erbs honey

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2017, 09:40:17 pm »
How does one "test" for Africanization?  How/is the DNA different?
When you come to a fork in the road.....take it.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2017, 09:47:40 pm »
Instrumentation.  You have to send the bees into a lab that has the right equipment.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2017, 10:09:24 pm »
How does one "test" for Africanization?  How/is the DNA different?
Under a microscope they measure certain segments of the wings to determine the genetics.
Reciently they have determined that they can also measure the angle of certain segments of the wings.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline divemaster1963

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Queen Bee
  • God Protect and watch over our sons and daughters.
« Reply #16 on: March 24, 2017, 10:21:23 pm »
Hey jim jump on virtilo.

john

Offline sc-bee

• Super Bee
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2017, 12:18:05 am »
The same thing happened in South Carolina. The initial test determined the bees to be AHB. The hive was destroyed. Later the genetic testing determined it was not AHB. Let's see what happens here.

http://counton2.com/2016/07/20/dna-testing-shows-sc-bees-werent-dangerous-african-variety/
John 3:16

Offline joebrown

• House Bee
« Reply #18 on: March 25, 2017, 07:19:41 pm »
I heard Randy Oliver site a similar instance. The queen was a Buckfast. You know Brother Adam did a lot of breeding and African genes could be present. In Olivers citation, the hive wasn't Africanized. The colony had been moved midday. Leaving the old foragers behind. Someone tried to spray the cluster of foragers and there you go. Beekeeper error.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline Jim134

• Galactic Bee
    • Franklin County Beekeepers Association
« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2017, 11:49:53 pm »
     I do know a few beekeepers in Florida. Some of them do cutouts. What they do is call the state apiary inspector up I believe. This is a test they do FABIS. What they say this test is supposed to be about 95% accurate. The thing is this test is to be done. On honeybees who have not been dead that long. My understanding they come in a van with all the test equipment to do on site. Otherwise it is DNA which may take a week or so.

https://tinyurl.com/lokaoue

BEE HAPPY Jim 134  :smile:
« Last Edit: March 26, 2017, 12:00:37 am by Jim 134 »
"Tell me and I'll forget,show me and I may  remember,involve me and I'll understand"
        Chinese Proverb

"The farmer is the only man in our economy who buys everything at retail, sells everything at wholesale, and pays the freight both ways."
 John F. Kennedy
Franklin County Beekeepers Association MA. http://www.franklinmabeekeepers.org/