Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Bees  (Read 14941 times)

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
Re: New Bees
« Reply #100 on: July 12, 2020, 02:09:22 pm »
I?ve been leaving them alone to let the new queens, if there are any, get established. I?ll take a look next week to see what?s up.
In the mean time, I have some leftover plywood off the job site. Poor mans Dado cut with a circular saw for the frame rests.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #101 on: July 12, 2020, 02:09:58 pm »

Offline beesnweeds

• House Bee
« Reply #102 on: July 12, 2020, 04:07:42 pm »
Nice Job !!!  Reflective bubble wrap or grain bags make a good sealing inner cover.  I overwinter 5 over 5, they're great to help keep your apiary sustainable.
Everyone loves a worker.... until its laying.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
New Bees
« Reply #103 on: July 12, 2020, 10:29:11 pm »
Nice Job !!!  Reflective bubble wrap or grain bags make a good sealing inner cover.  I overwinter 5 over 5, they're great to help keep your apiary sustainable.
I?ve seen similar things used when a wooden inner cover and migratory cover are not used. What I don?t know is why. It?s not creating elevation like a wooden inner cover does on a regular body, and the bees will glue it down just the same as they will the lid. So, why?

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #104 on: July 13, 2020, 12:18:07 am »
In Florida, that plywood nuc box will be full of mildew, and the plywood buckling off the side in about 3 months. 
Yes, even with exterior paint, and bees inside.  It has to be pine with a screened bottom. Your climate must be much drier in NC.

It's a very nice work box for pulling frames of honey or brood, or an excellent bee-happy frame rest during inspections.  And a nice job with the carpentry.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
New Bees
« Reply #105 on: July 13, 2020, 08:23:08 am »
In Florida, that plywood nuc box will be full of mildew, and the plywood buckling off the side in about 3 months. 
Yes, even with exterior paint, and bees inside.  It has to be pine with a screened bottom. Your climate must be much drier in NC.

It's a very nice work box for pulling frames of honey or brood, or an excellent bee-happy frame rest during inspections.  And a nice job with the carpentry.
Haha. It?s about 180% humidity for 87.662% of the year here. I?ve seen plywood boxes used here, but can?t speak to longevity. I don?t know the answer.
I?ve seen them around and am acquiring a fair amount of 3/4? ply.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #106 on: July 13, 2020, 12:20:35 pm »
Not sure where you are, but seems like plywood is used as mating nucs for 2 months in spring, and then is a take-away box. 

I've seen some nucs 20 years old and still working when they are corner jointed.

The pine plank ones don't last as long - they tend to warp a bit.  But def. better than ply.

I'm no decades-long beekeeper.  But I have worked bees with some, and I sure appreciate when they have good quality gear.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
New Bees
« Reply #107 on: July 13, 2020, 09:15:09 pm »
I?ll give them a try and see how they hold up. Built two more this evening. It was dumpster fodder when I got it and it will be when it leaves here too.
I do appreciate the input and will look for signs of failure. I don?t have another used for a lot of 3/4? plywood at the moment.  We are using 50inches of a 96inch sheet of plywood for concrete forms. The 48x46 cut off is trash. 11 sheets worth.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 07:21:56 am by .30WCF »

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #108 on: July 13, 2020, 09:16:18 pm »

Offline cao

• Super Bee
« Reply #109 on: July 13, 2020, 10:04:44 pm »
The 48x46 cut off is trash. 11 sheets worth.

trash?  that's gold to me.   I use scrap wood whenever I get the chance.  Granted, they won't last forever but they serve their purpose.  I think you did a good job.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #110 on: July 13, 2020, 10:09:34 pm »
The 48x46 cut off is trash. 11 sheets worth.

trash?  that's gold to me.   I use scrap wood whenever I get the chance.  Granted, they won't last forever but they serve their purpose.  I think you did a good job.
Thanks. 
I?m  gonna do some medium nucs next I think unless someone has a good idea for it.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #111 on: July 14, 2020, 12:59:21 am »
Mr 30. I like your enthusiasm. Keep it up!  I have a question. I have not heard of medium nucs. What are the benefits of medium nucs?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #112 on: July 14, 2020, 07:27:04 am »
So, I?m just talking out of my head right now with no real information, but some people only use medium brood and honey supers. I?m thinking of trying that on the next hive I start.
I have four deep single broods going now, but a medium super might give me more options on having all the same gear and more spots to pull a frame from if I have two or three mediums stacked on a deep with no queen excluder.

Offline CoolBees

• Queen Bee
« Reply #113 on: July 14, 2020, 04:32:25 pm »
... I have a question. I have not heard of medium nucs. What are the benefits of medium nucs?

I use Medium Nucs. I cut all my deep Nucs down to mediums when I switched away from deep frames. ... Medium Nucs are required - otherwise I can't move a growing hive over to medium brood boxes when they grow big enough.
You cannot permanently help men by doing for them, what they could and should do for themselves - Abraham Lincoln

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #114 on: July 14, 2020, 04:51:53 pm »
I cut all my pieces for 6 medium nucs a while ago.

Offline FloridaGardener

• Field Bee
« Reply #115 on: July 14, 2020, 08:07:41 pm »
How many bees are you planning for...? :wink:

Offline .30WCF

• Queen Bee
« Reply #116 on: July 14, 2020, 09:06:49 pm »
How many bees are you planning for...? :wink:
I thought you were buying some from me.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #117 on: July 14, 2020, 09:33:19 pm »
Since you are using medium boxes medium nucs make perfect sense. All frames are interchangeable.
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #118 on: July 15, 2020, 12:17:53 am »
30WCF.
Love the green bottle of titebond in the photo. I've got one just like it.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #119 on: July 15, 2020, 01:51:06 am »
30WCF.
Love the green bottle of titebond in the photo. I've got one just like it.

I do too Bob, I refill it with a gallon supply bottle when needed.

anything