Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Finding the We missing.  (Read 3326 times)

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
Finding the We missing.
« on: August 16, 2017, 04:48:38 pm »
As some may know I have been hoovering up comments in bee forums
for a millisecond in time when compared to the history of some other
BKs of notable experience.
One single attribute of the general body of accounts has my curiosity
buzzing - where is the "we"?
One forum I read (only) is littered with "we did this"+"he did that while I did
this"+" it rained so we packed in the smoker and retreated", with the
classic - made me smile -  "we were sitting around the hive having our usual
afternoon cuppa, when...".
Admittedly it is more of a "cuddly fuddly" style of interaction, with a lot of
fluff between the few accurate statements one does stumble across, yet there
is a lot of "we" in that place.

Sooo... is there a "we" amongst BKs posting into BMA, unmentioned mostly?

In all my years, until relatively recent times, I have had assistants and willing
helpers - some not so willing, as was our daughter - but the Missus was never
one of these, being way busy in her own career and home building.
Yet today she is a keen dogsbody around bee things, and not just as my carer
- it is difficult (often) to stand unaided for more than 20minutes for me these days -
but in assessing frames of bees and mulling over change in direction..?..she is "into it"!
So it is I have a "we" yet twould rarely mention same in passing as that is just how
it is. Surely I am not the only one?

Cheers.

Bill

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: Finding the We missing.
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 05:03:10 pm »
Bill
There is almost no we in about anything that I do.  I built a saw mill and the only we is when I had problims and so went to a forum that had smarter poeple then me and ask for help.

When I built my shed, I had help one day for just a bit but did most of it myself.

Same thing with bees, I need help, I go to smarter people then me and ask for it but still end up in the yard by myself. 

I think this is mostly a my flaw because I am a bit of a loner and home body and truthfully, I like to be self sufficiant and not bug other people.

Maby I stink and people just don't want to hang out with me or I am really boring.

I thinks it is fun to do things with others but also like the solitude of working alone.

I will not say that I get no help.  Half of the tools I have ever used in my life were borrowed from my mom and dad and always if I did need help, I had a wonderful support network to fall back on, some don't in life and those guys are real self doers and not a pretender like me.

My wife did help me extract the small bit if honey we got and that was a big help.

I could help more on others peoples projects then I do and so I guess I do have a selfish streak and don't really deserve much help on mine.  I do help a little though and do know in an emergency that I can count on we.
Cheers
gww

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 06:28:16 pm »
Well, Bill, I don't post many stories anymore, but I will tell about today. "WE" started out by having the tree cutters lift Mark up to screen the hole off to keep the bees in. Then the road crew brought the excavator over and we chained the tree to it and the tree cutter cut it off near the ground. The excavator swung it around to the road and the tree cutter cut 2 sections off the bottom until we found cavity. Next he set it onto my trailer and we strapped it 4 ways. It stood about 9 ft. standing in the trailer. We pulled the trailer over to Mark's house and parked it under a tree. This afternoon we looked at a tree with bees in it. It's only about 7 feet high...... Of course, that's laying on it's side. It's been down about a year. Our 16 and 18 in. saws won't reach half way through it, so we arranged to have a 24 in. saw on hand when we cut it tomorrow. We now have to get the tree off the trailer tomorrow morning so we have the trailer for the new cutout. Can't do it tonight, because we have to move a few hives a few miles tonight.

PS. I'm 72 years old and have 8 stents in my heart. I'm thinking I may need to slow down a bit and change "WE" to "THEY".   :wink:   :grin:
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 09:02:21 pm »
Iddee
I thought maby you ask one of your helpers if they had a pen and when they poped you, you said what do I care, I am 72. :cool:

Sorry bill, I was just checking to see if Iddee still has his memory and wether he has out grew his sence of humor.

Cheers
gww

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2017, 09:15:21 pm »
"I think this is mostly a my flaw because I am a bit of a loner and home body
and  truthfully, I like to be self sufficiant and not bug other people."

You found military service difficult then, gww?
I did, and mainly 'cos it gave me the grits to have one wanker/tosser/arsehole telling 25 smarter
guys how it was only because that is what he read in a book - the British Army Manual!
Us Aussies are an irreverant lot... heh :-)

One thing about working alone, and preferring that mode, gww... it is then only down  to youself as
to outcomes. Live with that (happily) and you are empowered.
Or as we Down Under say - "go well you good thing".

Cheers.

Bill

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2017, 09:24:04 pm »
@iddee...

... now THAT is some log young fella, in any book, and with the chest tattoos definitely worth
a "They" over a maybe unwise "We"!

Congrats in getting to 72 with pump work being done, you have had great medicare I reckon.
Personally I doubt I'll get there, what with my love of baccy - bees love it too, and leave me
bearded dial alone. A tired broken body from hard toil past, it's likely the earthworms will
feast early, in my case ;-)

Go well, stay focused.

Cheers.

Bill

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2017, 09:38:43 pm »
Must be Alzheimer's setting in, gww. I didn't catch the meaning, but not to worry, >>>>Ya ain't gonna get me riled>>:>>>
I'm too old to let the small things bother me.

Don't give your goodies away too soon, Bill. I never thought I would get here either, but neither of us can out guess the big man upstairs.

I only used baccy a little while, from 1950 til this past April. I don't think it hurts a fellow if he gets it straight from the field. It's the additives in the store bought  that hurt you.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2017, 10:42:57 pm »
Iddee
You posted a bunch of jokes one time and one was that you ask a girl if she had a pen and she said yes and you said well you better get back in it before they find you are missing and you get slugged and say what do I care I am 72.  I was seeing if you remember posting it but when I go back and look at my spelling, I could see why you might not get it.
I was just trying to show you that I pay attention, sort of.

Bill
I was in the army and made it through just fine.  I was probly a bit like the comic character sad sack,  I didn't stand out good or bad and found it interesting but did only do one term.

I left home at 16 and joined the army at 17 and couldn't wait to go, I have now realized the pleasure of staying home and can hardly make myself go anywhere cause I am happy here.  I don't mind taking my lumps too bad when they are my fault.
Cheers
gww

Ps I doubt I make 72 and I do like my baccy and if altshiemers is inherited, I am on the right track for that.  My view on how long is that it is what it is.  I told my wife that I saw a study that having sex 3 times a week could add seven years to your life (I did really see this)  I tried to convince her that she could add what I lost by smoking and I could come out even.  Did I mention that I didn't think I would make 72? :smile:
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 10:53:13 pm by gww »

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: August 17, 2017, 07:33:38 am »
AH, YES.  I remember her.  Age may not be the only reason I am down to 3 teeth.  I guess some things are best left unsaid.   :cool:

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline eltalia

• Queen Bee
« Reply #9 on: August 17, 2017, 11:39:26 pm »
"age may not be the only reason I am down to 3 teeth"

heh... now that's what I call "an ambitious young man"!    :wink:

Bill

anything