Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The Shot, a story of a Father and Son's hunt.  (Read 3173 times)

Offline Groundhawg

• House Bee
The Shot, a story of a Father and Son's hunt.
« on: October 29, 2017, 10:18:42 pm »
?THE SHOT?

It was almost dark.  Perhaps there were 15 minutes of light before his hunting season would be over.  John made his first hunting and fishing trips with his ?Pop?, Granddaddy, and me when he was merely three years old.  Now eleven years old this was the eighth Fall, which he had spent with me in the woods.

Trips had been made for squirrel, quail, even wild hog, but this adventure was once more for a trophy whitetail deer.  An elusive quarry that had filled his dreams many times, both awake and while sleeping.  He was anxious, tense, excited, and prepared to be just not a deer hunter but a deer slayer.

For years, all his young life, deer hunting had meant tagging along with me.  He had not yet realized our hunting trips were more of a tag team match than his tagging along.  He had grown stronger, smarter, safer, more dedicated and responsible each year.  He was developing into a hunting partner not just a follower.  This dedication and responsibility had earned him the opportunity.  No not an opportunity, the right.  A right of passage as a young adult to be the hunter on this day.

This time I was the one tagging along, even though he was calling me his guide.  Well I had brought him to this spot.  A time and place where he would have the opportunity to kill his first deer.  We knew that deer frequently used the trail he was watching.  I had seen a doe there just the day before and it was less than 50 yards from where his Uncle Ricky had taken a nice buck on Thanksgiving.  Neither Ricky nor I could help him kill a deer today.  Any shooting today would have to be done by John.  He was the one with the Remington model 788 rifle.  This afternoon I only carried a Louis Lamoure western.

As the shooting light had faded so had the available light to read.  I slowly put down my book and glanced up to the tree stand to see John stirring.  Moving slowly, ever so slowly, with a slow deliberate movement he raised the .243 and peered through the scope.   Raising his head to look over the scope and into the darkening woods, he seemed so calm.  My heart was racing.  I was uncertain if the hammering of my heart would frighten the deer, that was still unseen to me, or whether the pounding muscle in my chest would just burst.

Outwardly John still seemed relaxed, but I knew what he was experiencing.  Here he was on the last day of the season, less than 10 minutes before the faint rays of light would fade and we would have to leave.  Ten more minutes and then ten months before he could go deer hunting again.  After eight years he had a chance to kill his first deer.

Once again he shouldered his rifle and settled down behind the scope.  Only now did he start to release the safety, no he was taking time to adjust the magnification power of the scope.  I knew he was trying to get a better look at the deer.  He was going to make a clean, humane, killing shot.  I knew he could hit the bulls-eye on a paper target.  At a hundred yards that old 788 was able to make three shots appear as just one ragged hole when the shooter did his part.  Although not quite that skilled a marksman, yet, on a good day three of John?s shots could be covered by a playing card.  Even in the fading light I knew he could place that Remington Core-lokt 100-grain bullet right behind the deer?s shoulder.  If he would just shoot!

Why was he putting the gun back on safe?  Why was he lowering his gun?  Why were my hands sweating on a 40-degree December evening?  What is wrong?  Nothing I guess.
He had just hunkered down again.  The stock was seated firm and deep against his shoulder.  I hear and see him click the safety to the fire position.  Now I was sure that soon there would be meat in the freezer, back strap on the grill, and a trophy on the wall of his bedroom.  Yes, his bedroom!  His Mom had told us both that she ?would never have a stuffed animal?s head in her living room.? 

He was steady as a rock.  His finger was on the trigger.  Now he hesitated and was looking over the scope again.  My throat was so dry.  No really my throat is too parched to tell you what happened next.  Maybe later, right now, your Grand Mama is calling us to supper.  What?  Well if you are that impatient just go ask your Dad what happen next.
After all he was the one who had to take THE SHOT.

[Side box]  I would never leave a story for others with an ending like that.  John did not take a shot that afternoon.  He slowly lowered his rifle and with misty eyes, he whispered down to me; ?Dad I can not get a clear shot, without a clear shot,  I have got to let her go.?  I was prouder of that one time that he did not take a shot than of any of the deer he has taken since. 

Gracious words are like a honey comb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline gww

• Super Bee
Re: The Shot, a story of a Father and Son's hunt.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2017, 10:37:27 am »
That is not how I do it.  I learned a long time ago that you are not always offerred a perfect shot and if you don't pull the trigger you might be out there for nothing.  My experiance is that you have to some times be quick, sometimes the shot is long and sometimes the hole you have to shoot through is small.  It is a nice goal to have to do your very best and know on the perfect shot that you are good enough to make it but I don't hunt in a place where I have ten deer a day walk by me so I can pick the perfect shot.  Wish I did hunt in a place like that.  Back when we were young and had energy, we used to do a lot of drives where we would push deer.  Not many perfect shots then.  I have killed a lot of deer and for myself and also others that have impressed me, it was always the imposible shot that came home that I found most impressive. 

I do understand doing your best though.
Cheers
gww

Offline Groundhawg

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 06:28:37 pm »
Well your point is well taken as that if you do not shoot, be it a rifle, bow, or slingshot you will certainly not hit a target or critter.  You have got to pull the trigger at some time to connect.  It just took a lot of self control for John who had never shot a deer and make the decision to not take a shot that he was not conformal with making.  It was the last day of the season and on the first day of the next deer season he killed a real nice 8 point buck about 10 minutes after daylight. 
Gracious words are like a honey comb, sweetness to the soul and health to the body.  Proverbs 16:24

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 07:43:11 pm »
groundhog
Your point is good and just getting a kid out there is a good start.  They will learn on thier own that perfect can't be counted on and for sure it is good not to shoot at shadows.  I would be proud of mine even if they missed, if they froze and if they killed.  I would be proud if they sit out with me for thirty minutes even if they are chewing hard candy and wispering.  It was a good story.
Cheers
gww

anything