Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: e reader (sony 350)  (Read 5570 times)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
e reader (sony 350)
« on: December 25, 2011, 03:24:50 pm »
thinking about getting a e reader.. any of you use one? i was thinking of the sony 350 because of its size.. i can slip it in my pocket.. i see some e books about bees on amazon.com

Offline bud1

• Heavenlyl Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Field Bee
Re: e reader (sony 350)
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2011, 06:43:37 pm »
i was given a kindle by mr john last yr and it has been a fine companion ever since. i use it every day
to bee or not to bee

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2011, 07:55:22 pm »
i went with the Barns & Noble nook because i could download ebook using the EBUB .  Nook runs Android.  it all depends on what you want to do.  do you want only wireless, or do you want 3G also?  do you want to buy books only or use the library?  do you want an ereader that works like a smart phone and lets you access the 'net to download books, or do you only want to buy from amazon or whatever?  black and white, color, back lighting?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2011, 08:30:43 pm »
I like Amazon for a lot of things, but I have very mixed feelings about their EBook policies.  First they don't support the industry standard EPub format.  Instead they use their own proprietary format.  Second they keep offering advantages to Authors who sell their books EXCLUSIVELY on Kindle, which I see as trying to establish a monopoly.  On the other hand they have been more forthcoming as far as offering better payment to authors (80% to the Author of a book) but have really poor return on Public Domain books (20%) regardless of how much effort has been put into them to make them a premier electronic edition and instead lump poor scans and poor ocr copies in with carefully typeset and proof read copies.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline FRAMEshift

• Super Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2011, 08:50:50 pm »
Amazon decided to be part of the evil empire with their patent on one-click ordering.   (Even though they claimed at the time that it was only a defensive patent and they would never invoke it against anyone else... yeah, right.)   You can't trust Amazon so always be on guard for monopoly and anti-competitive behavior.  Android is open source so it offers you some protection from total control by our corporate overlords. 
"You never can tell with bees."  --  Winnie-the-Pooh

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #5 on: December 26, 2011, 08:38:49 am »
I also went with the Nook Color.  Replaced the firmware with Cyanogen7 and now it is a full blown Andriod tablet.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 26, 2011, 10:50:14 am »
Replaced the firmware with Cyanogen7 and now it is a full blown Andriod tablet.

did the same but wasn't going to mention that here  ;)  there is supposed to be an update, but i haven't gotten around to looking for it yet....
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline beemaster

• Site Founder
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • It is my pleasure to bring the forums to you.
    • http://www.beemaster.com
« Reply #7 on: December 26, 2011, 11:00:21 am »
There is an awesome format converter which also lets you create endless RSS feeds from online magazines, websites and news papers to form you own personal daily feeds.

Imagine making your own paper/mag everyday automatically - it is great.

Go to www.Calibre.com and check it out. - search it on YouTube too.

Any format converts to any device it is powerful.

NJBeemaster my YOUTUBE Video Collection

Please enjoy the forum, and if it has helped you in any way, we hope that a small donation can be made to support our FULLY member supported forum. You will never see advertisements here, and that is because of the generous members who have made our forum possible. We are in our second decade as a beekeeping forum and all thanks to member support. At the top right of every page is a donations link. Please help if you can.

Offline nietssemaj

• House Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 26, 2011, 07:04:01 pm »
My e-reader is a discontinued HP TouchPad that I grabbed for $99.

It is also running CyanogenMod7. Can't wait for CM9.

Offline annette

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 08:04:17 pm »
I have the Nook color Tablet/Reader because my brother works for Barnes and Noble and bought this for me for my birthday this year :-D

A fun toy!!

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 08:55:58 am »
Replaced the firmware with Cyanogen7 and now it is a full blown Andriod tablet.

did the same but wasn't going to mention that here  ;) 
Ooops!  :-X
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 02:44:21 pm »
 ;)

Offline adamant

• House Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2012, 11:04:01 pm »
i was able to down the amazon kindle app on my blackberry but is very limited bee books..