Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The start of beekeeping...  (Read 972 times)

Offline Sniper338

• House Bee
The start of beekeeping...
« on: March 15, 2017, 01:47:36 pm »
I got all this bee stuff, tools, suits, hives, frames, supers, yada yada yada...  and no bees lol.  Its driving me nuts!

We have two nucs on order for the end of this month...

As far as swarms go and catching them...  ive got traps out, i see bees everywhere, but havent seen a swarm yet...  im wondering if the unusually cooler weather is keeping them from swarming yet around south texas...  its been in to 50s and 60s a lot lately, weve had 70s, 80s, 90s, and 100 degree days already..  then a cool front comes through again...  been weird..

However we do have our official bee class this weekend..  weve been going to classes when we can on the weekends, every weekend is a different topic kind of deal.  Learned a lot..  with weekend classes and learning on my own i feel pretty confident, but nothing teaches more than hands on, and i havent been hands on yet..

Itching to get going...  rant over..

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Re: The start of beekeeping...
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2017, 02:00:40 pm »
They will get here soon enough and perhaps you will get a swarm. It is addicting and good luck.

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2017, 04:28:25 pm »
All dressed up and no one to sting you !  :wink:

I was in the same position last Spring when I started and can sympathize.
I wish I could say that it is better this year - it isn't. Still chomping at the bit.

I can see the hive in the backyard and know the girls are in there (checked a couple weeks ago when it was warm). However, after yesterday and this morning, the hive now looks like it belongs in Mike Palmers apiary ( ~14" of snow in last 24 hours).

Hang in there. It wont be long (for YOU anyways!)
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline Dave P

• New Bee
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2017, 04:48:07 pm »
I am getting back into bees after a long absence, have been making boxes ,frames and gathering equipment. got a couple of nucs from a person at bee club, feeding up for winter.

Offline Oldbeavo

• Queen Bee
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2017, 06:06:18 pm »
Swarm season is dependant on a good honey flow in your area so hives build up and repopulate after winter.
Ask local beeks how the season is going and are they splitting for swarm control yet.
In a previous topic Sawdust maker said you will not catch the bees close to you but are usually fly ins from other areas.
We had 8 trap hives spread around our 200 hives in spring, ranging from 100 to 900 yards from our bees and caught nothing. There were plenty of swarms.

anything