Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: New Member from Virginia Beach, VA  (Read 5557 times)

Offline kenyakate2001

• New Bee
New Member from Virginia Beach, VA
« on: May 18, 2006, 10:03:14 pm »
I finished a beekeeping course recently at the John C. Campbell Folk School in Brasstown, NC. I want to start keeping bees ASAP but haven't had time to order hives or bees yet. I'm hoping to learn a lot from current beekeepers.

Offline pallan

• New Bee
Hello
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2006, 08:09:11 pm »
Welcome to the Forum.  I believe you can learn a lot here and have a lot to fun as well.  Tell us more about the Folk school you went to.
Blessings!
"Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good."
Isaiah 7:15

Offline kenyakate2001

• New Bee
RE: John C. Campbell Folk School-Beekeeping
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2006, 10:24:40 am »
The class was wonderful....taught by Virginia Webb who is a well known beekeeper internationally....I say that because her sourwood honey won first place at an international beekeeping meeting in Dublin, Ireland to the conternation of the German delegation! She taught us everything a "newbee" needs to know. I took notes but have forgotten a lot. That is why I will have to depend on beekeepers from all over to be patient with my stupid questions and concerns once I get my hives and bees. I hope  you are a patient and forgiving group! One person in our class, Linda, had good things to say about this group and encouraged all of us to join. Tha John C. Campbell Folk School is located in rural NC, near the GA border. They teach the traditional arts-blacksmithing, woodturning, quilting, knitting-and have a variety of nature studies classes including beekeeping and plant and herb identification. It is a wonderful place. They have dance classes too! Google them and request a catalogue. Prepare yourselves for my questions which will be coming...I'm a teacher and although I'm tempted to set the bees loose on my students, right now I have 19 days left of school with them. I will try to get my hives ordered before that(and bees too). I have made attempts to find local beekeepers in the Hampton Roads area w/o success. My problem is lack of time when school is in session. There is probably someone nearby.......ok. Enough. Thanks for reading my introduction. I really look forward to learning from people all over the world interested in taking care of our friendly pollinators.

Offline randydrivesabus

• Queen Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2006, 10:36:07 am »
hi kate. try this website
http://www.virginiabeekeepers.org/

manowar422

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2006, 11:34:04 am »
OK, I'm just gonna kid with you a bit here. . . :wink:

I took notes but have forgotten a lot. That is why I will have to depend on beekeepers from all over to be patient with my stupid questions and concerns once I get my hives and bees. I hope you are a patient and forgiving group!

"Please sit down and be QUIET, sit up STRAIGHT and spit out that GUM!

In case your lost, this class is beekeeping 101 and my name is MR.
MANOWAR!

You there in the back row. . .   uh, kenyakate! I like to see my students
taking notes during class, I just might give you the answer to a quiz
question or two, so PAY ATTENTION!

Before we begin today, I'd just like to welcome you to our community
classroom, and stress to you the importance of asking questions.
Questions are NEVER stupid.

Only those students who sit on their hands day after day and fail to ask questions suceed in remaining ignorant!

OK, let's keep it to a low roar and open your books to chapter one . . ."

:lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Offline kenyakate2001

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2006, 07:46:38 pm »
Thanks to all who replied...I didn't realize how much I sounded just like my students! Thank you for the website for VA beekeepers...haven't had a chance to check it out yet. My main question now is should I give up the idea of getting started now and just start in the spring or can I get started and just make sure the bees have enough food to keep them going through the winter? What are the pros and cons?

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
  • I really look like this, just ask Cindi.
    • http://spaces.msn.com/thecoonsden
« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2006, 12:44:00 am »
The time to start is b4 you have bees.  Purchasing or making your equipment, painting it and studing a few good books.  I hope you like doing homework as much as you like giving it.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline kenyakate2001

• New Bee
RE:Thanks
« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2006, 07:01:25 am »
I haven't started looking for equipment yet but I might do that this weekend.....I have my notes from the beekeeping class I took in early May but haven't had time yet to reread them so maybe my first step is to get back into the notes, order the hives and get a good beekeeping book. Any suggestions? By the way, I'm a reading teacher and I don't give homework  :D Thank you....

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2006, 08:48:23 am »
http://www.bushfarms.com/beesnewbees.htm
Some of my advice on equipment decisions.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beeslazy.htm
Some of my advice on equipment decisions and techniques.

http://www.bushfarms.com/beestopbarhives.htm
Top bar hives.

http://www.bushfarms.com/bees.htm
A lot of stuff.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline kenyakate2001

• New Bee
Thanks
« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2006, 06:17:09 pm »
Thanks for the websites!

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2006, 01:39:33 am »
Try Miller Bee Supply in N.C., I believe he's fairly close to you.  He makes 8 frame equipment also, so if weight is a consideration, (ie my wife is 5' 1/2" and I'm in a wheelchair).  Presley can be reached at www.millerbeesupply.com.  I've found him to be very helpful.
I would suggest settleing on one size for everything as it makes problem solving sooo much easier.  I use medium supers in 8 frame throughout and I never have to worry about which frame has to fit in which box.
Life is a school.  What have you learned?   :brian:      The greatest danger to our society is apathy, vote in every election!

Offline Hi-Tech

• Field Bee
    • talkhunting.com
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2006, 02:00:03 am »
Here are some good books....

http://hh-farms.com/links/
Computer Tech, Beekeeper, Hunter = Hi-Tech Redneck
talkhunting.com

Offline kenyakate2001

• New Bee
RE: Bees/supplies/books
« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2006, 08:24:21 am »
Thank you so much! The Miller bee link looks quite useful and I'll check out the book links soon. I think I need to do a bit of reading before the plunge. Thanks again for coming to the rescue.

Offline kenyakate2001

• New Bee
RE:Hi
« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2006, 09:50:55 am »
I am now in touch with a two local beekeepers who both live within 10-15 miles of me thanks to the websites given to me from all who responded to my cry! I have made the decision to read up and get my equipment in order, talk to these local beekeepers about hives, equipment, then start next spring. I will have time over the summer to prepare...I don't want to rush things and I'm in the middle of a job hunt so I can't do too many things at once. Thanks again... I enjoy reading everyone's advice, thoughts, jokes...etc.

Kate

Offline Brian D. Bray

• Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Heavenly Beekeeper
  • Galactic Bee
« Reply #14 on: June 04, 2006, 11:39:11 am »
Winter can be the beekeepers busiest time--that's when he/she turns their attention to repairing old equipment and buying and building new equipment.  Tell all your friends that all you want for Christmas is bee equipment and they'll think your nuts.