Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Potential combine question  (Read 1356 times)

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
Potential combine question
« on: October 21, 2020, 03:11:50 pm »
I needed to go in a double deep nuc yesterday. To remove some apivar strips. This hive has been strong and taking syrup more than most my other hives. First red flag. They were upset yesterday. Normally very calm hive. Red flag two. Both top and bottom were plugged out. No eggs no larvae not even any capped. Red flag three. So should I go ahead and combine? What if I went in both boxes and pulled center frame. And added back a empty drawn frame. Then came back in three days and check for eggs?  Or would adding open cells start laying workers?  Which I didn?t see yet. Judging by everything I saw I?m pretty sure it went queenless. All my other hives are still rearing brood. Also there were still drones in hive as well. Not a lot but I haven?t seen any in other hives. Thoughts?

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
Re: Potential combine question
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2020, 05:32:07 pm »
"What if I went in both boxes and pulled center frame. And added back a empty drawn frame. Then came back in three days and check for eggs? ""

That's what I would do if I wanted the hive count. Otherwise, 10 frames of stores may help 2 or 3 hives get through the winter.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

anything