Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Oriental night  (Read 3491 times)

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
Oriental night
« on: January 05, 2008, 05:06:47 pm »
It was raining last nights. It was cold...nearly 7º C. But this night is different. 14º C, stars shining. And the Wise Men again. Exotic colors, costume, turbans, royal servants, mules with presents, and a negro king. I posted last year, but I have to recognize that I enjoy like a child.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
Re: Oriental night
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2008, 01:50:49 am »
Abejaruco, oh yes, those are beautiful pictures, thank you for taking us to this part of your world.  Have a wonderful day, Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline DayValleyDahlias

• Super Bee
    • DayValleyDahlia's Blog
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2008, 11:57:20 am »
Wow, those are great photos.  I especially like the the one which show an orange tree filled with fruit!

We always left our tree and decoration up until after January 6th!

January 6, Three King's Day

While most of the world has already begun packing up the Christmas ornaments, throwing out the tree, and finding a place for all of their gifts, Spaniards are continuing the celebration.  January 6, Three King’s Day, is the long awaited day in which the three Kings bring their gifts.  On January 5, children go to a parade where they see the three kings arrive to their city, and take the opportunity to ask them for gifts. Later, before going to bed, children leave their shoes out in a visible spot in the house or on their balcony, y go to bed hoping that when they wake up they will find gifts left by Mechior, Gaspar, and Balthasar.  For breakfast or after lunch, families often have the typical dessert of the day, the “Roscón de los Reyes”, a large ring shaped cake that is decorated with candied fruits, symbolic of the emeralds and rubies that adorned the robes of the three kings.  Somewhere inside the cake there is a surprise, and the person to find it will be crowned King or Queen of the house for the remainder of the day.

Offline Cindi

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2008, 12:09:46 pm »
Sharon, ooooh, that is cool.  Thank you for sharing some of the Spanish tradition.  It is interesting and certainly very worthy of reading, and lovely that you brought us into this part of the world celebration.  Have a fantastic day.  Cindi
There are strange things done in the midnight sun by the men who moil for gold.  The Arctic trails have their secret tales that would make your blood run cold.  The Northern Lights have seen queer sights, but the queerest they ever did see, what the night on the marge of Lake Lebarge, I cremated Sam McGee.  Robert Service

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2008, 01:02:04 pm »
Andalusian?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2008, 03:24:43 pm »
Andalusian?

Spanish. ;)

Andalusian is like Castille or Leon, with the difference that this territory was invaded by the Vandals during any time. Vandalus... Andalus.. :roll:

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2008, 05:06:05 pm »
the horse  :-)
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline abejaruco

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2008, 05:59:07 pm »
 Yes, Andalusian

:roll: What was I thinking on?

anything