Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's flowering: Queensland  (Read 144365 times)

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
Re: What's flowering: Queensland
« Reply #440 on: January 17, 2020, 08:26:58 pm »
Hope you got some of that rain last nite. 56mm down here and 20mm  a couple of days ago.
Things have really greened up from being brown.
The bees are loving Murraya but no Jaboticaba flowering down here. The Cassias are going well.
Cheers
Mark

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #441 on: January 18, 2020, 04:28:26 pm »
Hi Mark,
we had another 27 mm over night - a total just over 100mm so far all up.
Lovely rain - no real heavy showers and most has now sunk into the soil. The Mary is flowing again.
A few weeks and the Cobblers pegs and other weeds will provide some pollen and nectar.
I have 9 nuc's here I should check. I made them up about ten days ago and want to see if the queen is laying. I'm getting another few queens tomorrow - mostly to replace any failures. I think this will be it for me as far as nuc's is concerned for the season.
Hoping for some honey in a couple of weeks.
We fenced a new beeyard on Friday and I will be shifting a few singles there as soon as we get the stands up and the fencing finished. Great location - very close to the Maleny NP , close to water and easy, private access and excellent mobile phone reception. We maybe able to place a camera there. 15min from home!
max

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #442 on: January 22, 2020, 11:39:29 pm »
We had some more rain and as expected the first of the Cobblers Pegs are out and flowering.
As far as the bees are concerned this is a very important plant.
Most of the trees, take Euc's , produce pollen and nectar during the night and if we have rain all the bounty is washed out. Not so with Cobblers pegs - if the sun is out for 10 minutes the bees will work them.
Most people hate this weed as it produces seeds which attach to clothing - a nuisance for sure.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #443 on: January 28, 2020, 02:43:53 am »
28.1.2020 - The Grumichamas are out in full bloom

Offline mat1

• New Bee
    • bee master.com
« Reply #444 on: January 28, 2020, 06:25:29 am »
Saw the moch orange hedges a starting at home today. The bees are working it pretty well.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #445 on: February 01, 2020, 09:00:09 pm »
We are setting up a new beeyard - we have spent the morning making up the stands. Just opposite to our yard is a Southern facing hill with load of Blood wood flowering - Lovely to see.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #446 on: February 06, 2020, 06:23:32 am »
Mallotus philippensis  - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mallotus_philippensis
We had this small tree flowering in our yard and it was covered in bees. A friend was able to identify what it is.
Amazing to see the bees all over it. Mind you, not for long.

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #447 on: February 15, 2020, 04:38:37 pm »
We had a stall at the Witta market yesterday.
After a week plus of rain - some quite heavy - a sunny day was most welcome.
As always our stall ( selling honey) attracts a lot of beekeepers.

A lot commented how " everything seems to flower" . Definitely - the rain did encourage many trees to flower. It will take a few weeks and some honey will come in as well.
here is hoping!

Offline Bamboo

• House Bee
« Reply #448 on: February 17, 2020, 04:05:31 am »
We have a bit of a flow on here, can smell it as soon as you get close to the apiary.
I do the Yandina markets and just love the people that come up and tell you how they just bought a kilo somewhere else!....what gives with that?

We had a few showers last Wednesday 100mm in 1 hour and 220mm in 15hrs!!

Offline Beelab

• House Bee
« Reply #449 on: February 21, 2020, 04:09:45 am »
Just found a few bloodwood flowering fully. Now I know how the bees managed to create that lovely aroma wafting across the land. Didn?t get that much of it this season.
My hives are stationary and had to resort feeding a couple of splits. We mostly rely on native blooms.
For me, this has been the worst year in terms of honey harvest. But the colonies mostly kept their own.
Just glad for that lovely bloodwood now. The bees are happy.
Had about 40kg of honey so far, 2 tons last year.
But I leave what they gather now to them anyway.
Wonder if the delayed big rains entice some gums to flower out of season?

Offline mat1

• New Bee
    • bee master.com
« Reply #450 on: February 28, 2020, 05:00:30 am »
Just saw some paperbark start flowering. Do the bees get much nectar from the wattle? Does anyone know. As they are in full flower now.

Sent from my SM-A505F using Tapatalk

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #451 on: March 11, 2020, 05:27:20 am »
YES, teatree is flowering on the Sunshine coast. A few people have e-mailed me and told that they can smell honey coming in

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #452 on: March 15, 2020, 03:08:09 am »
We took some honey off today - not much, making sure we are leaving the bees enough for the next few months.
The Angophora are flowering again. Not like the last time but still flowering at the " wrong " time of the year.
Not many SHB in the hives.

A dark honey, quite pleasant

Offline lind

• New Bee
« Reply #453 on: April 13, 2020, 01:14:52 am »
I have been off this forum for a few weeks.
I had to change computers and this one does not remember the password - max 2 has become lind:)
Same person!

I will up-date  few things as soon as time allows - we are harvesting Pecan Nuts at the moment and we are flat out.
m
PS I was in Cambodia for a number of weeks and just made it back before I had to isolate
Keep well - all of you.

Offline lind

• New Bee
« Reply #454 on: April 18, 2020, 06:41:50 pm »
We are in the middle of our Pecan Nut harvest. It does keep us busy most of the days with getting rid of leaves, harvesting, cleaning and sorting and bagging and drying . Selling will be a challenge as the markets are all closed. We need to find other outlets.
Friday was pretty well perfect with a nice warm morning and full sun and I took the opportunity to have a look at some of our hives.
There is not much capped honey around but enough honey to keep the bees busy and well feed.
Bee population is good and there is plenty of healthy brood too. A good opportunity to do a health check .

I purchased a new book " The honey and pollen  Flora of South east Australia" - https://www.tocal.nsw.edu.au/publications/bees/Honey-and-pollen-flora-of-south-eastern-Australia
An amazing book with a huge collection of plants which are useful to bees and other pollinators. Expensive but worth the money.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #455 on: April 19, 2020, 01:05:45 am »
I have been off this forum for a few weeks.
I had to change computers and this one does not remember the password - max 2 has become lind:)
Same person!

I will up-date  few things as soon as time allows - we are harvesting Pecan Nuts at the moment and we are flat out.
m
PS I was in Cambodia for a number of weeks and just made it back before I had to isolate
Keep well - all of you.

Maybe the moderator will help you retrieve your old password?
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #456 on: April 19, 2020, 08:28:56 am »
PM sent.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #457 on: April 19, 2020, 06:17:38 pm »
Thanks, Jim.
I think it worked.
I'm hopeless with computer stuff

thanks

max

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #458 on: April 19, 2020, 09:32:19 pm »
No problem.
This was the first time that I have ever tried this. 😁
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline max2

• Queen Bee
« Reply #459 on: April 20, 2020, 01:11:06 am »
You did well!
The problem was that I changed my computer ( the old one died:()
The new one has a new e-mail address and when I tried to give it a new password  it would send it to the old computer with the registered e-mail ...which is gone.
All sorted and thanks
max