Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What books would you suggest to learn UNIX?  (Read 4133 times)

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
What books would you suggest to learn UNIX?
« on: March 01, 2007, 03:33:08 pm »
In dabbling around the last few months with terminal in Mac OS X (Mac OS 10.4), based upon Darwin, I've become rather addicted to making scripts and such in pico, nano and emacs.  I've seen a few books on the market but, was wondering what people would suggest. 

I've gone through many websites and quite a few tech forums, found a few good books.  One nice little pdf that puts shell commands in the context of dungeons and dragons. 

So, a question to anyone else who enjoys working with the UNIX or UNIX-like CLIs, what book would you suggest?

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
Re: What books would you suggest to learn UNIX?
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2007, 07:26:30 pm »
Well not to be to conceited:
Changing Your Shell

Changing your shell prompt

Basic little steps that are a lot of fun. Warning these are for FreeBSD but should work with OSX also.

Sincerley,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline Apis629

• Field Bee
    • A Hobbyist's Beekeeping Adventures
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2007, 12:32:10 am »
Thanks.  I'm sure that anything for freeBSD will work just fine in Darwin given both, to my knowledge, can run in the Borne-again Shell (BASH).

Offline Casimir

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2007, 08:22:39 pm »
To modify your Bash shell use "vi .profile"

Offline AllanJ

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2007, 10:03:27 pm »
Ah Unix.. the good ole days... when operating systems made you sit up and think and where 1 slip meant a 36 hour recovery as you watched the tape wirl backwards and forwards, backwards and forwards.. Many a time I watched the sunrise from the steps of the company I was working for.. 

Offline dlmarti

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 09:12:23 pm »
Nice simple Bash programming howto:
Here was where I was going to post the URL, but apparently my post count is too low for the board to allow it.  Search for these terms in google, it will take you too a nice howto: "BASH PROGRAMMING HOWTO"

As far as learning UNIX/Linux/BSD in general, is just to use it.
Force yourself to use it instead of Windoze, the learning curve is quite sharp but thankfully short.
Books, FAQ's, and HOWTO's help, but you'll never understand it, without lots of hands on.

Good luck, and enjoy.

anything