Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Privet Honey?  (Read 4219 times)

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
Privet Honey?
« on: April 02, 2018, 12:12:00 pm »
I smelled privet for the first time today this year. Does it make a good honey?

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
Re: Privet Honey?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2018, 09:05:06 pm »
Privet will be blooming in mid-May for us here.   No leaves yet.  It is still early Spring here.

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 02:08:46 pm »
bw, The privet (wild ligustrum) won't bloom at my place for a least another week to ten days. The domesticated got knocked back with some 27 degree temps last week. It all looks burnt and was followed up with some low to mid 30s the next couple of nights.

As far as your question goes, I'm told it's a light honey.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 08:51:03 pm »
I saw Prevatt in bloom in Jacksonville. The bees were starting to use visit the flowers. Quite often the bees will ignore Prevatt because there is something else they like more.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline tjc1

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 09:24:08 pm »
I saw Prevatt in bloom in Jacksonville. The bees were starting to use visit the flowers. Quite often the bees will ignore Prevatt because there is something else they like more.
Jim

This is my experience - the bumblebees will be all over it, but not a honey bee to be seen...

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2018, 11:23:52 am »
Wild privet hedge that grows blooms in the spring here in Georgia is a very good honey maker. The hive smells good and it makes a light honey.
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2018, 03:09:49 pm »
That is good to know because it is all around my hive.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2018, 05:23:30 am »
Ours will bloom in the middle of summer when the bees' population are at their peak.  During the early
summer dearth they will work the privet without any issue.  Yes, the hone is light and smells good too.

Offline Joe D

• Super Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2018, 01:02:40 am »
B I have lots of privet hedge, honey bees love it and you get a good light or clear color honey.  Mine is starting to bloom, last year it bloomed a little at a time for a few months, not much at a time though.  I haven't notice mine an the Crimson clover yet, they are on white and arrow leaf, and lot of other flowers.

Good luck to you and your bees,

Joe D

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2018, 04:48:27 pm »
The privet is really starting to bloom hard around here. It is all over the place but I went out the apiary where a good bit of privet is and saw no honeybees on it.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2018, 09:48:51 pm »
Dang bees have no idea what is good for them. :shocked:
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything