Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Newspaper combine questions  (Read 1024 times)

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
Newspaper combine questions
« on: September 25, 2019, 05:39:27 pm »
Following up on my ?no brood? thread I have a couple of questions about how to do a newspaper combine in case I decide to go that route. I?d like to be ready to do it this weekend when I get back home.

When I get back I?ll do another thorough inspection to make sure the main hive is queenless and also try the square of brood comb trick suggested in the other thread (in which case the combine will happen later after I know for sure the hive is queenless) but for the purpose of this thread let?s assume the main hive to be queenless.

Current situation: main hive has two 10-frame deeps, pretty full of honey, not a lot of free space. Weak hive has about 5 full frames and a laying queen in a 10-frame deep

Questions:
? can I move the queenright weak hive on top of the queenless main full hive? I read that you move the queenless hive to the location of the queenright hive and put it on top. Here it would be a lot easier to do the reverse
? do I leave frames as they are or do I move some of the full frames out of the main hive to make some space for the queen to lay there once the hives are combined? If yes, should I move those frames of stores up into the weak hive? Or should all,of that wait for after the combine is done when I consolidate everything to two deeps?

Thanks
Rosario

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
Re: Newspaper combine questions
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2019, 07:16:29 pm »
Rosario,

I don't see why it wouldn't work as you outlined. I wouldn't move the frames around until a week or so after the combine is made. The bees will pull most but not all of the newspaper out. You'll see it piled up in front of the hive.  :smile:
Neill

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2019, 07:22:47 pm »
If you moved the weak hive at night and placed it in position with the newspaper in place, wouldn't this keep most of the bees from the weaker hive from drifting back to the old location, causing less confusion?   I have not done this, I am just asking.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline rgennaro

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2019, 07:26:13 pm »
hi Ben

that's my plan. Move the weak hive at night or early morning so that most of the bees are in. The newspaper should prevent them from flying back to the old location.

I'll make sure to choose an interesting section of the paper so that they have something to keep them occupied while they are trapped in there  :smile:

R

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2019, 09:27:30 pm »
hi Ben

that's my plan. Move the weak hive at night or early morning so that most of the bees are in. The newspaper should prevent them from flying back to the old location.

I'll make sure to choose an interesting section of the paper so that they have something to keep them occupied while they are trapped in there  :smile:

R

Wishing you success. Let us know how it goes.
Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

anything