Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: ground cloth for hive placement  (Read 1817 times)

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
ground cloth for hive placement
« on: January 07, 2020, 09:46:04 am »
SHB runs rampant in my area, and in the past when they were not a problem, I've laid a ground cloth under my hives to keep grass down. If I do the same now, will it interfere with using nematodes for control of the beetle?

Online BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: ground cloth for hive placement
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2020, 11:36:00 am »
The larvae will crawl until they find a hole in the cloth or the edge of the cloth. If the nematodes are in the ground they should find them.
Jim Altmiller
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2020, 06:04:19 pm »
I am not an expert on beetles but the problem is they fly to and from other hives.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2020, 06:24:53 pm »
Thanks Jim - hopefully putting down a ground cloth to keep grass/weeds from around the hive will keep the person that cuts my grass from quitting when they find out I have bees.

I know you are right Ace, but my understanding is, and I'm quoting from my reading here "For additional control against Small Hive Beetles, we also recommend treating the ground outside the hive (where they come from initially) with the beneficial nematode, Heterorhabditis indica"

So has anyone here had experience with use of this nematode?

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2020, 10:18:51 pm »
There has been a lot of conversation on this forum about nematode.  Try the search button.
I have observed hive beetles in my area are not always bad.  Some years they are terrible and others a minor nuisance.
My best and easiest deterrent is crowded hives and sealing cracks and holes that are not necessary.  Use duct tape to seal the cracks.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2020, 07:43:56 am »
jvalentour. that gives me courage. Last year was my first year, and other than the newbee nervousness of getting my hands in the hive, my worst experience was watching the SHB invade. I was sure my colony was going to abscond. Maybe last year was a bad beetle year. However, I may well spray bacillus thuringiensis beneath it this year.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2020, 09:31:50 am »
There has been a lot of conversation on this forum about nematode.  Try the search button.
I have observed hive beetles in my area are not always bad.  Some years they are terrible and others a minor nuisance.
My best and easiest deterrent is crowded hives and sealing cracks and holes that are not necessary.  Use duct tape to seal the cracks.

Thanks, I searched SHB, but didn't think to search nematodes.

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2020, 12:04:28 pm »
Maybe you have missed it in previous post, I suggest that you  try Double screen Bottom Boards.  I use used cooking oil in a throw away casserole aluminum pan between the screens I catch hundreds of SHB  and probably mites although I can't see them.   I looked at several hives yesterday and did not see any SHB.  I also use roofing material or  old swimming pool liners under my permanent stands with DE around edge of material and I work the DE into the soil.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2020, 05:32:57 pm »
I am still interested in comments about the new Guardian bee entrance, made to keep out the beetle. Anyone with experience? I am planning on two hives. Both using Mason jar oil traps, but one also using the Guardian. (As an experiment).

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2020, 05:56:32 pm »
Maybe you have missed it in previous post, I suggest that you  try Double screen Bottom Boards.  I use used cooking oil in a throw away casserole aluminum pan between the screens I catch hundreds of SHB  and probably mites although I can't see them.   I looked at several hives yesterday and did not see any SHB.  I also use roofing material or  old swimming pool liners under my permanent stands with DE around edge of material and I work the DE into the soil.

I got a 8 frame freeman beatle trap bottom board with slide out tray from Heartwood yesterday.  Is DE Diatomaceous Earth?

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2020, 05:59:38 pm »
I am still interested in comments about the new Guardian bee entrance, made to keep out the beetle. Anyone with experience? I am planning on two hives. Both using Mason jar oil traps, but one also using the Guardian. (As an experiment).

would love to hear some input as well

Offline William Bagwell

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2020, 09:27:16 pm »

Nice little experiment. Absolutely no experience here. My guess is that the Guardian will help some, possibly quite a bit, but not keep them all out. Planing a 'belt & braces' approach myself so have bought a dozen of the disposable oil traps, one Guardian lower entrance, four upper entrances. (These are not as widely available as the lower so if they work I want spares.) May also try the un-sented dryer / Swiffer sheets if I can find them. Had forgot about the Mason jar oil traps. Will look into them...

Have looked into nematodes and going to wait. My understanding is that you have to already have SHB larva in the soil before you spread nematodes otherwise they die before they do any good. Oh, when searching for "Heterorhabditis indica" your going to have ads pop up selling multiple varieties of nematode none of which are the one you want.

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2020, 08:56:21 am »
Excellent conversation here. Good information for my problems. Thanks.  That's what I value so much about this site.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2020, 09:33:45 am »
thanks for the information William, and I immediately went online to investigate a "SHB belts and braces method" - lol. sometimes i wonder about myself.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2020, 10:47:16 am »
Though it is a good practice to exhibit good housekeeping with our bees and adding ground cloth certainly adds to the neat appeal of our apiary, however this will not stop the spread of SHB, slow them down? Maybe.  As Jim suggested, the larva (worms), will simply crawl to the edges and burrow into the ground where the ground will accept them. Keep in mind that the pesky SHB WILL travel up to 7 miles to enter your bee hives! Some say even further distances than that. I have enclosed a couple articles that may interest you. The first will be a video that you may seek to explore. Keep in mind that this will only work if you MAKE CERTAIN that ALL cracks and crevices are totally sealed from the top to the bottom of your hive and both top and bottom screens are advised in order for the bees to have adequate ventilation. It only takes a minute crack for these pest to enter our hives. I have not used either of the following, PVC portals or the guardian system, but plan to experiment with both this season, both myself and Mr Van, (van from Arkansas).

As Paus and sawdstmakr both advised. The Oil bottom tray will save your hives. Ask me how I know.  :wink: After losing a hive my first summer, I was able to save the rest, from sure   overwhelming infestation and possibly total extinction all in my very first season. I have now been at it (beekeeping) about 21 months. Thanks to Jim, Paus and reinforced by others here, enlightening me of the oil pan method. I was able to save the rest of my hives via their methods.
Good Luck!
Phillip Hall

https://youtu.be/kFwYNqjdUIg

How to Save Remaining Hive from Small Hive Beetles ? Home ...
www.homesweetbees.com/q-a/2016/7/20/how-to-save-one...
Don't forget to inspect your other colony or colonies, small hive beetles can fly up to 7 miles in one flight. What To Do With Frozen Frames Once larvae has been killed through freezing, frames can be reused in most cases.
« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 02:57:39 pm by Ben Framed »
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Seeb

• House Bee
« Reply #15 on: January 11, 2020, 09:29:39 am »
Good information all! 

anything