Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Built a wax dipper to coat plasticell foundation  (Read 8261 times)

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Built a wax dipper to coat plasticell foundation
« Reply #20 on: June 27, 2018, 02:48:12 pm »
I am sure you have seen this same video... not sure i did not post it before. I have been looking for a CD rack. I bought a 35 gal drum and cut down below the first rim but I dont have enough wax to fill it high enough yet. I also defaulted to the turkey fryer for $20 bucks at Academy sports.

In the video I think he states keep the water/wax to a roll... that would definitely be with taking care with the yuggins and adults too :wink: The few I have experimented with, the roll mixes the wax with some water and you get a more even coat vs a thickness that fill the cells entirely and therefore use less wax...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RuKM24t3r6M
I think I can reduce the level of the water/wax and then I might have enough room to smack it into the side wall. This would save a lot of wax. I would then have to double dip them.
Thanks.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #21 on: June 27, 2018, 02:52:25 pm »
I have not bee able to cut very well with it.
Go to a fabricator and pick their brain.  It requires the right pressure settings for the tip you use.  Then the tip has to be at the right distance.  Next is steady hands.  I usually have to make a guide that holds distance and keeps the tip from shaking all over.  When you get it right you will love the torch.
I have actually used this torch to cut 1/4 inch steel on my cattle trailer.  It worked pretty well. Of course my buddy set it up. I have the Audel Welders Handbook. I have tried using it for the settings but the cuts usually fill in with molten steel.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #22 on: June 27, 2018, 06:04:14 pm »
I have tried using it for the settings but the cuts usually fill in with molten steel.
Jim

I would say the flame is too hot or you are cutting too slow.  Obviously if you go to fast it stops cutting.  That is where the skill comes in.  Keeping the cutting speed constant.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #23 on: June 27, 2018, 07:28:00 pm »
The flame must be too hot. I have moved very quickly, to the point that it stops cutting and the metal was still filling in the cut. I think the tips that I have are for thicker metal than I am cutting.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #24 on: June 27, 2018, 07:43:18 pm »
You don't need much for 1/4 steel.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Johnny

• New Bee
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2018, 11:18:28 pm »
Set your oxygen guage to 40 psi or a little more.It sounds to me that you don't have enough air pressure to blow the molten out of the cut.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2018, 04:24:30 pm »
Set your oxygen guage to 40 psi or a little more.It sounds to me that you don't have enough air pressure to blow the molten out of the cut.
I will try that. I know I had the pressure much lower than that.
The torch cut fast and then about  a half inch behind the cut it would close up.
Does that mean anything?
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #27 on: July 11, 2018, 08:19:02 pm »
Update. I finally collected enough wax, out of my solar wax melter, to finish waxing the 60 sheets of plasticell. I did not fill the dipping pot all the way and I was able to slap the excess wax off of the plasticell. This worked so well that I still had wax in the pot when I was done. Thanks for all of the inputs, they helped.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #28 on: July 11, 2018, 09:49:57 pm »
I will try that. I know I had the pressure much lower than that.

I agree with the higher pressure but keep in mind the oxygen is not an air blast it is meant to burn up the steel.  If the steel is melting and recombining then it is too hot or the tip is too big.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #29 on: July 11, 2018, 11:05:36 pm »
Thanks Brian. The tip is probably too big. As soon as I get my tanks filled, my buddy is going to give me some training on cutting.
Jim
Ben Franklin

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #30 on: July 12, 2018, 08:22:02 am »
I thought this chart might help with both the tip size and O2 pressure questions.

I believe tips can vary with manufacturer so you probably need to find a chart for your torch.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #31 on: July 12, 2018, 08:35:23 am »
Then apparently 40 is way too high.
How do you adjust the preheat O2 when the source is common?
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline Dabbler

• House Bee
« Reply #32 on: July 12, 2018, 08:49:28 am »
The preheat pressure is only applicable for 3 hose torches.
Experience is a hard teacher because she gives the tests first, the lessons afterwards .
-Vernon Sanders Law

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #33 on: July 12, 2018, 09:29:07 am »
I missed that.  But I got to thinking if the acetylene pressure was set correctly the mixture is going to be set by the oxygen valve to get the right flame.  When that happens then the pressure must be right.  The first oxygen valve would be wide open so the cutting pressure would be what the tank regulator was at.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

anything