Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: What's the Best Bee-Related Christmas Present You Got This Year?  (Read 1673 times)

Online The15thMember

• Global Moderator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Hope everybody had a good Christmas and New Year's!  As a first year beekeeper I got a lot of bee-related presents this year.  I got a bookmark with a resined worker on it, a beautiful necklace that looks like honeycomb filled with honey, and the book "Bee" by Rose-Lynn Fisher which is full of electron microscope photographs of bees and their anatomical structures, which is sooooo cool!  My favorite thing that I got though is a native bee observation hive.  The front of the hive swings open to reveal the holes behind Plexiglas so you can see the cell chambers behind them.  It has holes sized for mason bees and leafcutters.  The funniest bee gift I got was a beekeeping Barbie Doll!  It's actually pretty fun, she's got her jacket and veil and gloves on, although her veil is split down the back to accommodate her ponytail, which is hilarious!  The set comes with this pseudo-flow hive with one removable frame, two honey bears, and some little plastic flowers and bees that you can stick all over them, as well as a little plastic tablet with apple pay for the honey bears on the screen.  Although I don't collect Barbies, I am a toy collector, and I have little sisters who I play Barbies with sometimes, so it was a really fun gift.  What's the best beekeeping gift you got this year?

(Also by the way, if moderators think this is better in the Coffee House, feel free to move it.  I'm not sure if it's bee-related enough to be in the general forum, or since it's just chit-chat if it's better over there.)         
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
Re: What's the Best Bee-Related Christmas Present You Got This Year?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2019, 08:40:10 pm »
I only got one and it was a bee ornament for my tree  :cheesy:
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2019, 09:30:56 pm »
I received a Palm Abbe Digital Refractometer. Pretty cool. Put a drop of honey in it and you get a accurate digital readout. No more trying to find the right light to get a good reading.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline herbhome

• Field Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2019, 10:17:39 pm »
A bag of queen cups and 10 chinese grafting tools. The pressure is on! :smile:
Neill

Offline SiWolKe

• House Bee
    • www.VivaBiene.de
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2019, 04:40:14 am »
Wonderful presents, T15M!

I got two hours help from my husband to put wire mesh around my ten hives against the woodpecker which had already damaged 5 of my hives, hope the bees still live.
He paid for the mesh ( 100?) and has gotten the bloody fingers.

And a promise to clean and stabilize with wire all my 156 frames, plus a promise to do all the hard lifting work with my hives next season plus to come with me to bavaria to meet my collegues, paying for the overnights.

:cool:

Offline DuaneB

• New Bee
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2019, 03:36:59 pm »
I received a Palm Abbe Digital Refractometer. Pretty cool. Put a drop of honey in it and you get a accurate digital readout. No more trying to find the right light to get a good reading.
Jim

Which model did you get? PA201? PA202? or something else.

Thanks,
Duane

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2019, 05:36:25 pm »
Duane,
Not shire which model number it is but it is this one.
https://www.mannlakeltd.com/misco-palm-abbe-refractometer
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: January 04, 2019, 02:53:39 am »
Duane,
Not shire which model number it is but it is this one.
https://www.mannlakeltd.com/misco-palm-abbe-refractometer
Jim

we bought a similar model and price of janpanese make. worked fine with honey the way you sell it in the glass. but out of the extractor - varying or no values. impssible out in the field off the comb.
retailer told us it was not adapted well to little parts of something in the honey. so instead we got an optical one (almost same price....), which is doing fine and I feel a lot better with.

Offline DeepCreek

• New Bee
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2019, 02:26:25 pm »
The best present I got was SURVIVORS ; )

Offline blackforest beekeeper

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2019, 03:34:22 pm »
I got a jar of honey!

...kidding...

Offline MikeyN.C.

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2019, 05:57:53 pm »
Santa gave me a Kreg Accu-cut , rip-cut slide.