Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Check my emergency winter feeding advice  (Read 2473 times)

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
  • Still Proud. Retired, Michigan State Police
Check my emergency winter feeding advice
« on: December 16, 2018, 11:40:40 pm »
Hello folks,
I have 2 hives that I wrapped for this Michigan winter. I've been at this hobby for 5 years and have never had a hive survive. This may be the first! Both have 2 boxes that the bee cozy covers. A breed box and one super of honey is all they wanted to do this year. Each has a 1/2 gallon heavy sugar syrup feeder on top. I made my own sugar candy boxes for emergency feeding. The syrup feeders have been on since October 27, 2018. I've been reading the stickies and taking advice, but let me know if this is right:

I'll check the hives at the end of the month and if the syrup feeders still have liquid (and not frozen) I'll do nothing. If they are empty, I'll quickly pull them and set the candy boxes on top and call it good. How does that sound?
Thanks,
Art
Check out my Blog!:

http://beekeeper.flexmedia.tv/

Retired State Trooper. Part time Beekeeper. If you ever see me run, Run!

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
Re: Check my emergency winter feeding advice
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2018, 05:04:00 am »
I do not know the Michigan climate nor the microclimate you may be in there.  However, I would like to strongly suggest to not feed syrup at temperatures below 42-45 F.  When the temperatures are steady around or below that, remove the syrup and switch to those candy boards.  The reasons behind this relate to the bees not being able to process the syrup at cool temperatures.  The moisture content is too high, under conditions which they will be having enough troubles trying to stay warm and dry.

So, recommendation is to take the syrup off soon as you can and put the candy on.  You can put the syrup containers in the freezer and bring those out to feed in the spring when conditions are on the warming trend.

Hope that helps
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2018, 07:55:06 am »
What HP said but you can use the syrup to make fondant.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 11:48:30 pm »
Thanks for the tip. I'll switch those out this week.
Thanks!
Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2018, 09:08:03 pm »
I switched out the syrup feeders for home made candy boards. The syrup feeders were 1/2 gone and not frozen so I think they will be ok. Both hives were extremely active when I took the top cover off. I didn't wear my veil because I was expecting them to be dormant, instead I got attacked like it was mid summer and had to run inside and suit up to finish. I'll take it. At least they are alive this year.

Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2018, 11:22:22 pm »
Good luck Art, I hope they all make it for the duration!! 
Phillip Hall
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2018, 11:48:22 pm »
Good luck Art, I hope they all make it for the duration!! 
Phillip Hall

Phillip,
I'm trying my darnedest. This has to be the year!
Art
Check out my Blog!:

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2018, 02:30:45 am »
So before going into winter what do you use to treat for mites?  Without any other method to
remove the mites off the hive, how will they build up during the early Spring?  I'm curious as to how they're able to
survive over this winter without any treatment.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #8 on: December 21, 2018, 03:01:54 pm »
I switched out the syrup feeders for home made candy boards. The syrup feeders were 1/2 gone and not frozen so I think they will be ok. Both hives were extremely active when I took the top cover off. I didn't wear my veil because I was expecting them to be dormant, instead I got attacked like it was mid summer and had to run inside and suit up to finish. I'll take it. At least they are alive this year.

Art

Well done!  All good signs.  Now the essential and critical step for you is to resist temptation and just leave them alone.  Hang a 'Do not disturb' sign on the hive(s).  I mean that, exactly as it sounds.
Stay out of them until end of February.  At that time start with feeding more candy weekly.  Switching to syrup will be dictated by the daily temperatures as spring progresses. By end of March to start of April they should be full on into the syrup.  These comments are based from reviewing the attached. (per your profile).

My question / concern is around what have you done for configuring the hive(s) for winter. Are they insulated, are they wrapped, boxes and boards config. I think I understand what you have there based on your description above. If you could post a couple of simple pictures or a sketch, those would be helpful for confirmation. I would like to see if anything else comes to mind to suggest to you that can help them through the next 2 months.
« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 03:18:49 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: December 21, 2018, 08:31:09 pm »
"My question / concern is around what have you done for configuring the hive(s) for winter. Are they insulated, are they wrapped, boxes and boards config."

His answer is: "This may be the first! Both have 2 boxes that the bee cozy covers.

He is only using a product call the bee cozy to cover his 2 hives now.   I'm not sure about how wind proof are his hives though.  Of course, with plenty of
feed and a strong packed hive they can generate their own heat to maintain the hive temp.    If they can generate the heat to maintain the hive temp. then
the syrup should be warm enough for them to feed on.   I don't see an issue with leaving the hive top feeder on if they are using it now.   Bees need more
feed during the cold winter months to maintain the hive temp.    Right now I use organic store bought honey mixed with water to feed my growing hives.  I also the have sugar bricks on the top bars.   No issue with bee diseases so far!

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 21, 2018, 08:32:52 pm »
So before going into winter what do you use to treat for mites?

No clue.
Until last month, I didn't know that all hives have some amount of mite. (From other responses to my posts). I bought all kinds of mite treatment chemicals but I decided not to treat before winter because I couldn't find any before I wrapped them for the winter. I grabbed my jewler's glasses and couldn't find any. I placed Vaseline on the bottom of the screen board on both hives and didn't see anything but junk. Since these hives are the first to live this long, I decided to wait and treat n the Spring. Wish me luck!
Check out my Blog!:

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: December 21, 2018, 08:41:32 pm »

I used this Bee Cozy type wrap, with air holes and tilted so the condensation won't collect. I think it's working pretty good.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Check out my Blog!:

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 08:43:37 pm »
Since they are such a mite fighter, we will make splits to manage the swarming come this Spring. 

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
« Reply #13 on: December 22, 2018, 12:20:07 am »

I used this Bee Cozy type wrap, with air holes and tilted so the condensation won't collect. I think it's working pretty good.

OK, nicely done.  Have you any insulation under the lid? 
A 2" foam board placed between the inner cover and the lid would do nicely for what you need there to get through January and February.

Offline FlexMedia.tv

• House Bee
« Reply #14 on: December 23, 2018, 01:07:24 am »

OK, nicely done.  Have you any insulation under the lid? 

Yes, just some styrofoam in between the top cover and top.
Thanks!
Art
Check out my Blog!:

anything