Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Comb Drawing Time?  (Read 1421 times)

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
Comb Drawing Time?
« on: December 16, 2018, 01:03:37 pm »
When do bees generally start drawing out comb? Considering nector, pollen, and tempature, what are the (ripe) conditions for each to be able to expect a good aggressive comb drawing time to begin?
Thanks, Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
Re: Comb Drawing Time?
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 05:32:26 pm »
Mr. Ben, good afternoon.

One pound of wax is created from five pounds of honey.  Wax is very expensive from a bees point of view.  The 5:1 ratio of honey to wax is figured from a molecule scale, 5 or 6 carbon atoms {I forget exact}for fructose, glucose and approx 25 carbon atoms for wax.

So in a dearth, a hive will not likely produce wax.  In spring with lots of food, bees are more inclined to make wax.  If memory serves me correctly the bees producing wax must be less than 15 days post hatch.

Some say feed the bees 1:1 sugar syrup for wax production and 2:1 for brood.  I have heard this many times but,,,,, not proven.

Swarms contain many young bees as wax production is critical.

OK, ask Santa for drones and wax.  Hawahawa lol
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 05:37:40 pm »
Mr. Ben, good afternoon.

One pound of wax is created from five pounds of honey.  Wax is very expensive from a bees point of view.  The 5:1 ratio of honey to wax is figured from a molecule scale, 5 or 6 carbon atoms {I forget exact}for fructose, glucose and approx 25 carbon atoms for wax.

So in a dearth, a hive will not likely produce wax.  In spring with lots of food, bees are more inclined to make wax.  If memory serves me correctly the bees producing wax must be less than 15 days post hatch.

Some say feed the bees 1:1 sugar syrup for wax production and 2:1 for brood.  I have heard this many times but,,,,, not proven.

Swarms contain many young bees as wax production is critical.

OK, ask Santa for drones and wax.  Hawahawa lol

Ah haa haa haa not a bad idea about asking Santa!! I might Have a half a chance reviving the drawn out combs !! Thanks for the information and the smile Mr Van!! 😁😊
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 09:46:26 am »
It depends on many things when they will draw comb.  How badly do they need the comb?  How much nectar is coming in?  How warm is it.  Heat helps.  Nectar coming in is essential.  The need for comb will override other aspects.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 03:58:04 pm »
When the bees have to hold the sugar/honey in their honey stomach, as they do when they swarm, this triggers their body to produce large quantities of wax. I used to have pictures of bees from a swarm with balls of wax hanging from the bottom side of their abdomen. I suspect that they were balled up from bees bumping into each other.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 07:46:12 pm »
Thanks Stinger13, Michael Bush, and sawstmakr. I appreciate your sharing the information. Seems I am always learning here. Good stuff, again, Thanks fellows....
Phillip

anything