Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: A $2,000.00 queen honeybee,,,,,,, ya right, OK, whatever. See link.  (Read 2434 times)

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.

This video is by David Burns, Master Beekeeper.  Note time: 1?34? the statement{this hive has a $2,000 queen in it.}. Do you think maybe, just maybe the man is exaggerating a little bit.

Beware of YouTube videos, some are fantastic, others are well, you know.
Blessings

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=UNHO66f5-MQ&t=80s
I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline TheHoneyPump

• Queen Bee
  • Work Hard. Play Harder.
A $2,000.00 queen honeybee,,,,,,, ya right, OK, whatever. See link.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2018, 01:36:32 am »
LOL!  She has gold veined wings and diamond crusted eyes!

I do actually believe him when he says it is a 2,000$ queen.  I have a similar example. A guy in one of my my bee-yards last spring. He was picking up some queens. I was giving him a tour so he could have every confidence in the stock genetics of the queens I was supplying. He especially liked the temperament of one of the hives I showed him.  He really wanted that queen. I told him:
"    sure, price is 2500$."
"What?!!"
"    Yup, if you want her that is the price"
"BS! how can that be justified?"
"    It is simple. That is the queen I have selected to breed from for this year and my target is 3,500$ in queen sales for the season. If you want her, that is the price. It is a real bargain; a 1000$ discount for you and a-lot less work for me.
"No way!"
"   Well OK then it should please you to know that the queens in the package that you are picking up are her daughters, so these are the bees you are getting anyways."

( My point is that the value of the queen is the value of the queen rearing operation. No queen - no queen sales, she is worth every dollar of what would be lost without her. )

Likely the same thing going on in the video. Either in that box is his selected breeder queen that he plans to graft 2000$ in sales from for the season or that he has already sold 2000$ worth of queens off of her in season(s) past.

So, ya.  It seems exaggerated, but when you think in terms of queen rearing sales it is not.  I get it.  I did laugh at how casually he slipped into introducing his 2000$ queen, probably putting off a-lot of viewers. Lol, funny guy.
:cheesy:
« Last Edit: December 14, 2018, 12:42:43 pm by TheHoneyPump »
When the lid goes back on, the bees will spend the next 3 days undoing most of what the beekeeper just did to them.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: A $2,000.00 queen honeybee,,,,,,, ya right, OK, whatever. See link.
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2018, 07:48:48 am »
$2000, I hope she is clipped.  :grin:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline robirot

• House Bee
    • Finest German Carnolians and more
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2018, 07:57:38 am »
Well if it contains a prime breede queen, then it could be possible.

I raise about 30 Queens a year and let them get mated at the mating station.

Half oft them are one breed, others are an other breed.

From these i get about 26 back, 1-4 fail in the same, due to mit beeing accepted or are just not able to establish a good hive.

From that point i'am left in spring with 18-20 of those queens.

They all have to be revisited, starting when i get the queens back,  shaking a package for all of them, so they have an equal start.

After that they get examined at least 8 times. Which means watching how gentle they are, how much brood do they produce, do they try to swarm, and signs of chalkbrood or nosema and do they put up with varoa or not?

After that they get examined to check, if they are pure race breed or hybribs.
(We got a lot of problems with hybrids in germany, leading to a lot of problems in the F2  due to the ammount of carnolians here.)

After all this i am happy if, i get one good breeder queen of each of this breeds. Those queens aren't for sale.
Maybe 2 more, ok queens which can be breed from as a backup or for someone who wants to raise his own queens for bis operation, 2 more average breeder queens, ok for a hobby beekeper to raise his own (typically very gentle but less honey) and 4-5 queens that are below average and not usable for breeding.

If you are unlucky you lose everything in the second winter, only having that backup queen left.

For all that work, you wont be able to buy that top breeder queen, just the backup after the breeder queen is overwintered succesfull.

Just calculate all the other costs you have for raising queens, the breeder queen is still the only one who allows you to raise good queens and maybe worth 5$ per queen, so if you raise and sell 400 queens (which isn't much)  you would already have paid for that queen. Meaning every queen over 400 yields you a 5$ more.?

Offline paus

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2018, 10:26:56 am »
If I kept records I may have spent that much on my queens :wink:.

Offline Troutdog

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2018, 08:14:40 am »
Is it just me or are others tired of these certified beehavers blowing their own arse music.

Burns vids are filled with mistakes and what not to do.

Hes reinvented the winter cover on another vid lol
100% putz
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2018, 09:37:27 am »
Breeder queens can go for any amount, especially II queens.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2018, 06:37:44 pm »
So what is so special about this queen for it to worth that much?  If she somehow can
make the bees stay inside during the winter then I might get one.  Somehow my carnis/Italians mix
bees cannot seem to stay in their hive with this nice flying weather at 58F.

Offline van from Arkansas

• Super Bee
  • Van from Arkansas.
« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2018, 07:19:34 pm »
Is it just me or are others tired of these certified beehavers blowing their own arse music.

Burns vids are filled with mistakes and what not to do.

Hes reinvented the winter cover on another vid lol
100% putz
Cheers

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Mr. Troutdog:  Agreed, well put.  I know of several beeks, several I tell ya, on the site with good ol hands on experience, field knowledge, school of hard knocks as some say;  that can blow the pants off of a Master Beekeeper comparing working knowledge of bees.

Mind you, we are talking SOME Master Beekeepers, not all.
Blessings

I have been around bees a long time, since birth.  I am a hobbyist so my answers often reflect this fact.  I concentrate on genetics, raise my own queens by wet graft, nicot, with natural or II breeding.  I do not sell queens, I will give queens  for free but no shipping.

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2018, 07:27:54 pm »
@ beepro. 58 was exactly the high temperature here today in my area of Mississippi. The bees were everywhere!!  Looked to be celebrating as if spring was already here! They were in and out of the hives in droves, looked like bee tornados!  Not just cleansing flights but this went on most of the afternoon.
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 08:59:00 pm »
Mr. Ben, do you have a chance to take a vid of the orientation flights?   It would be neat to see them out this
early.  I believe the bee climate has much to do with the early build up.  One of my nuc hives have 3 frame of
cap broods already and continue to build up.  At 58 today, I had a chance to do a quick hive check on them.  So far so
good for the early winter build up.  This year it is warmer than usual again.   Many Loquat trees have not bloom yet.
I'm not sure if the climate change has anything to do with it.  Good for the bees I supposed. 

Offline Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 01:53:02 am »
Mr. Ben, do you have a chance to take a vid of the orientation flights?   It would be neat to see them out this
early.  I believe the bee climate has much to do with the early build up.  One of my nuc hives have 3 frame of
cap broods already and continue to build up.  At 58 today, I had a chance to do a quick hive check on them.  So far so
good for the early winter build up.  This year it is warmer than usual again.   Many Loquat trees have not bloom yet.
I'm not sure if the climate change has anything to do with it.  Good for the bees I supposed.

I didn't video  beepro. They were out again this past day also. The temperature has now dropped into the 40's and it's going to be back in the hives again. Our winter hasn't really started here as of yet, though we have had a low of 25 and several nights in the upper 20's. The real winter should begin kicking in here for real. Congratulations on your early capped brood. I don't know your general weather pattern but hopefully they will "hatch" before the tempatures get to cold.  Keep us posted.
Thanks, Phillip
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: December 21, 2018, 08:05:54 pm »
Mr. Ben, here it is at  https://tinyurl.com/ybjrjvou   There is a vid and some pics on the same day hive inspection.

I took this vid the same day we look at the hives from the outside.  Nice looking large cells winter
bees.  I still have 2 uncap larva frames in development and many new eggs laid everyday.  This 2nd season German-Italians queen is
rolling along nicely in a double deep nucs hive.  Not only there are the
German- AMM black bees but also the Italians color as well with many desirable characteristics.

« Last Edit: December 21, 2018, 09:29:46 pm by sawdstmakr »

anything