Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Turnips?/Mustard  (Read 2516 times)

Offline GSF

• Galactic Bee
Turnips?/Mustard
« on: October 26, 2016, 08:16:58 am »
Anyone in the Southeast planting any turnips or other greens? We've only had two rains since the 1st of August and all but maybe one day in Sept was in the 90's. No use planting under those conditions. I wanted to plant some mustard for the spring flowers. I'm not sure what kind of mustard is best for that.
When the law no longer protects you from the corrupt, but protects the corrupt from you - then you know your nation is doomed.

Offline asprince

• Super Bee
Re: Turnips?/Mustard
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2016, 08:20:41 pm »
I usually plant fall greens every year but not this year. I have been waiting for it to rain so the ground will be a little softer for tilling. So far no rain.

Steve
Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resembalance to the first. - Ronald Reagan

Offline Maggiesdad

• House Bee
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2016, 12:21:03 am »
I use creasies (Barbarea verna) for early spring bloom here in central VA. It's not too late to plant it now. Seed from Southern States.

The bees love it.

Offline bwallace23350

• Super Bee
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2016, 07:56:43 am »
I planted I believe the 2nd week of October. I got a great irrigation system but it has been a struggle. My greens and cabbage are looking ok now. I did not plant turnips or mustard though. I planted arugula, 2 types of cabbage, collards, 2 types of kale, two types of broccoli (one of which died), and rutabagas. I know that collards will bolt and flower and that bees like them. 

anything