Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: queenless-laying workers  (Read 1041 times)

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
queenless-laying workers
« on: July 09, 2020, 08:20:33 am »
my plan is to take some frames of brood and eggs with bees and a new queen. after taking all frames from hive with bees to a location a few hundred feet away . installing these few frames with queen in empty hive . if the queen is accepted in a couple of hours then to shake all bees and return frames to hive. hoping that the laying workers will not know how to get back and the queen will be accepted and defended by the introduced bees . this hive has lots of honey and was a large swarm captured in late march and was booming til they  were not. new marked queen is $40. the weather is too hot near 100f for me to work them. please give me some opinion on this plan.

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: queenless-laying workers
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 08:40:52 am »
I would suggest either making or buying a queen introduction frame, it is the only method I have found that reliably works on laying worker hives.    Here is an old post, but it has a few links of people in the same situation having success with it.

https://beemaster.com/forum/index.php?topic=39947.msg338237#msg338237
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 08:59:58 am »
""if the queen is accepted in a couple of hours ""

The queen WILL NOT be accepted in a couple of hours. Maybe in 5 to 8 days, but not hours.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2020, 12:45:06 pm »
after going through the entire hive yesterday and finding no brood no eggs packed with honey and very quiet hive . consulted the local expert, he says there is probably a queen and the hive is honey bound and to checkerboard some empty frames into the brood box.  i think i will try that. :smile:

Offline beesonhay465

• House Bee
« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2020, 01:00:50 am »
update . been trying to sell the hives . one looker was of the opinion that they had raised a new  queen and she had returned and they were throwing out the drones and i should give them some time to get sorted. another person said they were probably honey bound and i should give them some empty frames.I did both. checked the hive yesterday , prepared to go through every frame and see if i could tell what was happening. found a real nice pattern of brood on a new frame. put the supers back on and called it good. :happy: