Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Free bees (in wall, central VA)  (Read 16134 times)

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
Free bees (in wall, central VA)
« on: May 16, 2007, 06:57:14 pm »
If anyone near Lynchburg, VA wants to take some bees out of an old house, send me a PM and I'll put you in touch with the owner.  He wants to put on vinyl siding but wants bees and honeycomb gone first.  Would rather not exterminate.
100+ year old house
Bee entrance is on 2nd fl., 20' off ground
"Born Po, Die Po" ........ just need to feed myself in between!

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
    • http://www.myoldtools.com
Re: Free bees (in wall, central VA)
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 11:31:39 am »
Bees are never free.  Bee removal, likewise, is usually not free.  I get $50 an hour for removing bees from walls. 
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2007, 11:56:27 am »
do you have any legal issues with charging for removal?  i seem to remember some conversation on here about that.  something about licensed pest control?
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2007, 01:48:52 pm »
Ross,
You have such a positive attitude  :-P.   Unlike you, some people want bees bad enough not to charge a fee.  I'm just trying to help out an elderly couple and see a few bees find a new home.   thanks again for your comments that add absolutely nothing to this post!  :-*

Offline Scadsobees

• Galactic Bee
  • Best use of smileys in a post award.
« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2007, 10:23:04 am »
 :shock:
I was thinking that that will be a lot of work not to mention danger to be free..... :roll: 5 hours on a ladder 15-20 ft up, in a hot beesuit, next day of being sore isn't free, sounds like paying dearly for those bees... :-P

Might be better to emphasis the elderly couple needing help getting a beehive removed from their house.

Respectfully,
Rick :-P

Rick

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2007, 11:14:08 am »
Can go from inside. No need for ladder. Most times the sheet rock wall is easier to repair than what ever is covering the outside wall.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

:jerry:

My pictures.Type in password;  youview
     http://photobucket.com/albums/v225/Jerry-mac/

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2007, 11:22:43 am »
Just stating the facts.  Sorry if you disagree.  There are much easier ways to obtain bees.  Just about everyone I know that provides a service to the public charges for it.  Why shouldn't beekeepers?  When was the last time you got your yard mowed free by a lawn service?  How about getting your drain unclogged?  And don't you love all those free house cleaning services?  I know I do. 

I know elderly couples with more money than God and I know some that are just getting by.  Either way the bees aren't free and neither is service.  Maybe that vinyl siding will be free....
www.myoldtools.com
Those who don't read good books have no advantage over those who can't---Mark Twain

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2007, 11:49:41 am »
But as Kathyp asked of you....
do you have any legal issues with charging for removal?  i seem to remember some conversation on here about that.  something about licensed pest control?

Here in Texas if the pest control board catches you removing bees for a fee they will come down on you for doing pest control without a license.
:rainbowflower:  Light travels faster than sound. This is why some people appear bright until you hear them speak.   :rainbowflower:

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2007, 12:34:33 pm »
:shock:
I was thinking that that will be a lot of work not to mention danger to be free..... :roll: 5 hours on a ladder 15-20 ft up, in a hot beesuit, next day of being sore isn't free, sounds like paying dearly for those bees... :-P

Maybe worst case.   Sounds very similar to the one I removed last weekend that was relatively easy.
http://forum.beemaster.com/index.php?topic=9430.0

If the house is that old,  you are better off to go from the outside.  It most likely has slats and plaster, not sheet rock.  Besides, if they are putting up vinyl siding,  they won't be too concerned with ripping off the old siding.

I have to agree, that nothing is for free,  but I do adjust my fees depending on clients at times.  You can get a pretty good feeling for how they are fixed when you inspect it.

Depending on how long they have been there,  it is a good opportunity for some feral bees
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Ross

• Field Bee
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2007, 01:09:42 pm »
If it's a residence, they will come down on you fee or no fee.  On the other hand, in my area they won't touch bees and usually tell people to call a beekeeper.  It's a no win situation. 
www.myoldtools.com

Offline Jerrymac

• Galactic Bee
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2007, 02:06:53 pm »
If it's a residence, they will come down on you fee or no fee.  On the other hand, in my area they won't touch bees and usually tell people to call a beekeeper.  It's a no win situation. 

You got that right. It's just a matter of staying under the radar.

Or the flip side. You buy the bees from the home owner and then you are just getting your bees out, not doing pest control.  :-D

Offline Rabbitdog

• House Bee
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2007, 04:28:13 pm »
"When was the last time you got your yard mowed free by a lawn service?"
Never, but I was not planning on keeping the grass clippings.

"How about getting your drain unclogged?" 
Never, but I was not planning on keeping the clog for honey production.

"And don't you love all those free house cleaning services?" 
Not keeping the dust either.

Come on, you can find better analogies than those.  I know you can, try harder.

Okay, enough already.  I won't try to connect 2 willing parties for bee help ever again, I promise.  Unless, of course, they're willing to pay.  After all, money is the most important thing in the world, right.
Thanks again, I'm done.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2007, 08:04:13 pm »
100 year old house is not likely to have sheet rock walls. It would be very likely to have slated venner walls. Which are a pain in the butt to cut. The job would take the better part of the day.
My recommendation is you contact a local beekeeping club if there isn't anyone here that is near you.

Sincerely,
Brendhan
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2007, 08:53:21 pm »
They wouldn't have honey bees in their wall if not for beekeepers. I would do it if it were 4 hour closer to me.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline ZuniBee

• House Bee
    • ZuniBeeFarms.com
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2007, 09:17:25 pm »
To me, the bees are pretty much free. I call it sweat equity.....my work - and I get to keep the bees, brood, honey, comb, etc. in return. Sounds like a pretty neat father son day!

I'm about 2 hours and 45 minutes from where the couple lives. I'm going to talk to them and will probably go next week to help them out.

Offline nepenthes

• Field Bee
  • Little honey bee in flight
    • Photo Album
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2007, 09:35:39 pm »
If they were closer I would love to help them out!
"I have never wished to cater to the crowd, for what I know they do not approve, and what they approve I do not know." - Epicurus.

Offline bluegrass

• House Bee
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2007, 11:11:10 am »
To me, the bees are pretty much free. I call it sweat equity.....my work - and I get to keep the bees, brood, honey, comb, etc. in return. Sounds like a pretty neat father son day!

I'm about 2 hours and 45 minutes from where the couple lives. I'm going to talk to them and will probably go next week to help them out.

Thanks for stepping up....I would love to do it but 6 hours is just too far. Let us know how it goes.
Sugarbush Bees

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2007, 11:23:33 am »
Sounds like a pretty neat father son day!

That's the attitude.   My son has started going with me this year and it is great.  We stop for Breakfast on the way, lunch on the way back, and a whole lot of show and tell of bees and construction.   He's a great help with the bee vac and emptying buckets of comb.  He also really enjoys taking lost of pictures (and picking flowers if I don't keep him busy :roll:).

2+ hours is a long way to go and forget something.  If you haven't done many before, PM me and I can share with you the list of supplies/tools I take along.   If you can just rip off the siding,  it shouldn't take long at all, the one I did last weekend which sounds similar, only took about 2 hours and that was taking our time with the show and tell.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Kathyp

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2007, 04:16:55 pm »
understudy posted a list of things to take.  maybe he can retrieve it also.  to his list i added paint scraper, tarp and depending on what you are wearing, duct tape.  i also needed hive staples (large electrical will do) and newspaper.
Someone really ought to tell them that the world of Ayn Rand?s novel was not meant to be aspirational.

Offline Understudy

• Galactic Bee
    • http://www.understudy.net
« Reply #19 on: May 20, 2007, 01:56:48 am »
The status is not quo. The world is a mess and I just need to rule it. Dr. Horrible