Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: bee removal in walls from old combs still there!  (Read 4769 times)

Offline newbee07

• House Bee
bee removal in walls from old combs still there!
« on: May 11, 2007, 12:59:04 am »
Hello, i was wondering if anyone could tell me what chemical or anything i can use that will not kill the bees but that will make them leave to a new location i may use to rid a swarm that is here year after year when i can't get to the queen?
A beekeeper came over and charged me 150.00 to put these strips in the areas and the bees flew off, not a trace of one at all. Any idea at what he used?

thanks

Offline Robo

• Technical
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Bee
  • Beekeep On!
    • Bushkill Bee Vac
Re: bee removal in walls from old combs still there!
« Reply #1 on: May 11, 2007, 08:55:53 am »
I have no idea what these "strips" where.

I have heard stories about using something like honey robber,  but have no experience myself.

http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=1231
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Mici

• Super Bee
  • tougher than rock
    • http://www.carantha.net/carantha_table_of_contents.htm
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2007, 02:28:52 pm »
i know that essential oil of Citronel will keep certain bugs off of you, such as mosquitos and ticks, but...the bees somehow love the lemony smell, so i'm not sure if citronel works for bees to..mybe i oughta try it someday.

Online Michael Bush

• Universal Bee
    • bushfarms.com
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2007, 09:17:23 pm »
>so i'm not sure if citronel works for bees to..mybe i oughta try it someday

Since one of the ingredients is citral and that is also in Nasanov, I wouldn't count on it.

Fischer's Bee Quick seems to discourage them a lot, moth crystals seem to drive them out.  Whatever you use you'll still have honey in the wall and it will give out after time.
My website:  bushfarms.com/bees.htm en espanol: bushfarms.com/es_bees.htm  auf deutsche: bushfarms.com/de_bees.htm  em portugues:  bushfarms.com/pt_bees.htm
My book:  ThePracticalBeekeeper.com
-------------------
"Everything works if you let it."--James "Big Boy" Medlin