BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING

How are things going in your bee yards in the Land Down Under?

(1/4) > >>

Ben Framed:
Hello Australians, New Zealanders, How are things in the beeyards?

Bee North:
Hi Ben,
You tell me so we both know!

I've been away for 3 weeks and will be home soon. I'm dying to see how the hives are going.

Up in the North here its pretty much Spring. I was grafting on the 10th August last year. There will be a flow on at home. Fingers crossed I'm not too late and the girls still have some room.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: Bee North on August 04, 2021, 08:05:52 am ---Hi Ben,
You tell me so we both know!

I've been away for 3 weeks and will be home soon. I'm dying to see how the hives are going.

Up in the North here its pretty much Spring. I was grafting on the 10th August last year. There will be a flow on at home. Fingers crossed I'm not too late and the girls still have some room.

--- End quote ---

lol:  Being away for a while during this important time you describe, does add a mix for sure. As TheHoneyPump says "queens wait for no one".

I hope this works out ok for you. Let us know..

Beelab:
It?s swarming season for sure.
I?ve been away as well, left my swarm management a little late. Onto it now.

It?s exciting to see the bees expanding and finding plenty of pollen colors in the frames. Not to mention the honey boxes I needed to harvest. Takes a hobby into the work range. And it?s barely spring yet.

After our fire and drought season 2019, it brings back the joy for expansion to the bees.

Due to COVID, Australia post can?t deal with online deliveries. My son ordered some boxes for his hives, waiting now for 4 weeks. So I gave him some of mine. Which almost leaves me short soon.

Our area is out of lockdown for now, no cases ever here, but you can?t count on deliveries of online orders.

Wonder, if I ordered queens for postal delivery, would they ever arrive?
So, at the moment I?m relying on my splits to make awesome queens. Plenty pollen and nectar around.

1 in 20 will produce an angry queen that needs replacing. All in all, we seem to have good bee genetics around. 🤞

Strange to think beekeeping in the northern hemisphere is ready to go into hibernation. Well, here in the subtropics, the bees never stop.

Thanks for asking Ben. Made me ponder.

Just had some amazing honey aroma wafting through my open windows.

Bee North:
It's been an odd start to the season up here. The bees are only picking up now and that's across the board.

I attended a bee club meeting over the weekend and everyone said the same.

Bees havnt even started swarming here yet.

I did take a little honey off a few of the strongest hives today for the first time this season.

Finally something's happening!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version