BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > GENERAL BEEKEEPING - MAIN POSTING FORUM.

Oil trap screened hive bottom?

(1/6) > >>

AustinB:
I've noticed more hive beetles than I'd like to see this year. I'm thinking of trying the oil trap style screened bottom boards. Does anyone who has used, or is currently using them have any feedback on their personal experience?

Brian MCquilkin:
I found that oil was too messy so I changed to diatomaceous earth and that worked great.

Ben Framed:
I tried oil traps when I only had only four of five hives and they did the job. Paus and Sawdstmkr pointed me in that direction. My first year I had a severe SHB problem and they saved the day. Several folks since have have mentioned diatomaceous earth as Brian just recommend. I have heard good things about diatomaceous. I have not heard any negativity about diatomaceous that I can recall.

.

AustinB:

--- Quote from: Ben Framed on May 07, 2021, 11:13:02 am ---I tried oil traps when I only had only four of five hives and they did the job. Paus and Sawdstmkr pointed me in that direction. My first year I had a severe SHB problem and they saved the day. Several folks since have have mentioned diatomaceous earth as Brian just recommend. I have good things about diatomaceous. I have not heard any negativity about diatomaceous that I can recall.

.

--- End quote ---

--- Quote from: Brian MCquilkin on May 07, 2021, 10:21:26 am ---I found that oil was too messy so I changed to diatomaceous earth and that worked great.

--- End quote ---

I have never heard of that, but like the sound of it. I'll have to search and see where to buy and how to use it. Thank you

paus:
Most of my hives have an aluminum casserole pan with edges rolled for strength, with 1/2 to 3/4 inch of used cooking oil in them.  I have a back door to service the pan of oil, I pour the oil through a $1 plastic strainer I got at the $ store into a 5 gallon bucket and reuse the oil.  The bees seldom know I am there when I service the oil pan.  No mess, no SHB, if I stay on top of servicing the pans.  I have used pollen sub on the oil and/or a spoon full of "slimeout juice" IN A FOIL CUP on the oil as bait, seems to work quicker on an infestation of SHB.  My DSBB have 2 3/4" space for the oil pan with #8 hardware cloth for screens. 

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version