Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Follow boards  (Read 9111 times)

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
Re: Follow boards
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2022, 03:14:07 pm »
These are my hives. Its all I can realistically keep in my suburban bubble neighborhood.
I have read many places that keeping entrances in the center on the long side, splits the box. The problem (as I understand it) is that the queen keeps the brood nest in the middle near the entrance, and that it splits the nectar and honey, so that in winter the bees starve on one side or the other, seeing they can't/won't get to the opposite side.
Of course, I don't know this to be true from experience. It will interesting for you to tell me what happens as you go through the seasons.
When I did use follow boards (and I might next winter) I kept just one.
As far as keeping a divider board in the middle and housing two colonies in the box, (one on each end with their own entrances), I think that is a great way to use a box. for me, after the first year each colony filled up one whole box itself.

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #21 on: February 28, 2022, 08:32:40 am »
for me, after the first year each colony filled up one whole box itself.
That is the goal isn't it?  I can't see an advantage to two colonies in a long box.  I can picture problems with it.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline loisl58

• New Bee
« Reply #22 on: February 28, 2022, 08:43:41 am »
for me, after the first year each colony filled up one whole box itself.
That is the goal isn't it?  I can't see an advantage to two colonies in a long box.  I can picture problems with it.
I was just wondering if as has happened when I get a older queen cell I could move it with some of the bees down to one side and use that like a nuc. Bending and lifting not a good option for me. That is why I have Long Langstroth. Started originally with deep nuc, moved to 10 frame, 1 brood, 1 honey, couldn't lift without disruption of residents. Decided to stick with deep frame at a height with no lifting.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Offline Bob Wilson

• Queen Bee
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2022, 02:05:39 pm »
I don't see any problems with using a long hive with divider boards as nucs. As long as they each have their own entrance.
The big issue is that the divider boards need to separate the compartments well.
ALTHOUGH... I have found that having a 5 frame nuc box on hand works out better. It's small enough to store. It makes it easy to make a nuc with a few frames of bees from the long hive and the swarm cell. And it lets the main colony expand through the entire long hive.

Offline loisl58

• New Bee
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2022, 11:14:19 pm »
I don't see any problems with using a long hive with divider boards as nucs. As long as they each have their own entrance.
The big issue is that the divider boards need to separate the compartments well.
ALTHOUGH... I have found that having a 5 frame nuc box on hand works out better. It's small enough to store. It makes it easy to make a nuc with a few frames of bees from the long hive and the swarm cell. And it lets the main colony expand through the entire long hive.
Thanks for your comment. Will keep nuc.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

anything