BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > DOWN UNDER BEEKEEPING

nitril gloves for bee keeping

<< < (2/6) > >>

CoolBees:
I started keeping Nitrile gloves in my bee jacket pocket. When I find a hive is "hot", I put them on. They definitely help. I've been stung thru them only once. Mostly I just work bare handed. I have really big hands, and nitrile's only come in "one-size-fits-all" - so they're hard to get on, and don't last too long for me. They should say "one-size-fits-most".  :cool:

billdean:
High Risk Latex Exam Gloves, Blue 15 mil, XL Size. These are great and come in different sizes. They also last for more than one use. I see you can't get them now, though I expect it's from the coronavirus scare. I assume they will all be harder to get for the foreseeable future or the price has gone up so much they're not affordable to the average bee keeper.

The15thMember:

--- Quote from: CoolBees on March 08, 2020, 03:02:39 pm ---I started keeping Nitrile gloves in my bee jacket pocket. When I find a hive is "hot", I put them on. They definitely help. I've been stung thru them only once. Mostly I just work bare handed. I have really big hands, and nitrile's only come in "one-size-fits-all" - so they're hard to get on, and don't last too long for me. They should say "one-size-fits-most".  :cool:

--- End quote ---
I have the same problem in the opposite direction.  "One-size-fits-all" really means "one-size-fits-most-men", and all the gloves I can get locally are too big.  I could get a smaller size from a medical supply company, but the price just isn't worth it.  I've gotten used to the slightly too big gloves by now anyway, and I think the extra space between my hand and the glove is beneficial to not getting stung through them.  I usually double up and wear 2 pairs of gloves, since I've had bees sting me through a single layer.  I wear nitrile gloves every time I inspect, and they are great for being protected without losing dexterity.  The only big downside to them is that they make your hands REALLY sweaty, since they aren't at all breathable. 

--- Quote from: crispy on March 07, 2020, 11:43:24 pm ---Hi all i was watching a guy in new zealand who was using nitril gloves when he attended his apery rather than the usual cow/goat hide gloves .

--- End quote ---

Were you by chance watching Trevor Gilbanks's YouTube channel, "Trev's Bees"?  He gave me the idea to wear nitrile gloves as well.  I really like his videos, and I watched a lot of them when I was first getting started to learn how to do basic things like light a smoker and do an inspection. 

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: CoolBees on March 08, 2020, 03:02:39 pm ---I started keeping Nitrile gloves in my bee jacket pocket. When I find a hive is "hot", I put them on. They definitely help. I've been stung thru them only once. Mostly I just work bare handed. I have really big hands, and nitrile's only come in "one-size-fits-all" - so they're hard to get on, and don't last too long for me. They should say "one-size-fits-most".  :cool:

--- End quote ---

Cool they come in different sizes at Harbor Freight . I get the extra large. 9 mil . You might give them a try.

FloridaGardener:
I've tried a few brands. Now I only use purple Kimberly-Clerk nitrile with the long cuff - there are several sizes.
     Protection: if a bees tries to sting, it won't get far. Seems to stop venom.
     Dexterity: can gently pick up a bee, and grasp comb when doing a cutout without crushing it.
     Durability: I wash my hands, gloves-on, after using; then remove and hang over a bucket to dry. 

I've even tossed some in the washer (not dryer) on gentle cycle with my jacket.  Because if I don't wash them well enough, the bees settle on the gloves while I'm working...looking for something yummy to smell or gnaw at.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version