BEEKEEPING LEARNING CENTER > REQUEENING & RAISING NEW QUEENS

New Years Queens

(1/3) > >>

CoolBees:
Quick history: in a late December inspection I found a hive that was queenless and had many QC's on several frames.

I saw myself, as having only 2 options: combine this hive with another to get it thru the remaining "winter", or experiment to see if Queens could be raised here in Dec/Jan. I decided to experiment.

On Dec 23rd I split 1 frame with QC's from this hive, over to a Nuc, with no bees. I then added Nurse Bees and honey/pollen Stores from a much stronger hive hoping to give the newly formed Nuc as good a chance as possible.

I left all bees and remaining QC's in the original hive. My goal: double the [slim] chances of success.

Today - I've just come back inside from inspecting both hives.

The results: The original hive - I saw 1.5 frames of eggs newly, and properly, laid eggs. Since I started the inspection from the outside edge, I did not see the queen, and did not want to proceed further. I closed up the hive.

The Nuc: I found a new and beautiful Queen on the first outside frame. She was quite calm. There were eggs, and brood in all stages on that frame - suggesting the hive has been queenright for more than 10 days. I closed up the hive and did not proceed further.

Final score: 2 for 2 queenright!

Now, I can't imagine that either queen is very well bred due to the limited amount of drones currently, and I expect both [most likely] to need requeening within the year. But - now both hives will have the ability to take advantage of the upcoming flow in the short view - so I'm plus-2 instead of minus-1 on hives. I am both intrigued and happy - thought I'd share this info with all of you.  :smile:

BeeMaster2:
Cool,
Sounds like you must have drones.
Looking forward to see your updates.
Jim Altmiller

Ben Framed:
Awesome Alan. Congratulations!!!   What was your mid day temperatures through this (on average) ? 

CoolBees:
Most days hovered between 54 & 61 degree (highs) and generally overcast. There was one day during the mating cycle that got to 65 and sunny, as well as some sunny periods on other days. Basically it was very marginal for mating - limited drone availability & inclement weather. Most hives have 50 or less drones right now.

I had resigned myself to accepting that it wasn't going to work. But the girls found a way.

Ben Framed:

--- Quote from: CoolBees on January 12, 2020, 02:58:34 pm ---Most days hovered between 54 & 61 degree (highs) and generally overcast. There was one day during the mating cycle that got to 65 and sunny, as well as some sunny periods on other days. Basically it was very marginal for mating - limited drone availability & inclement weather. Most hives have 50 or less drones right now.

I had resigned myself to accepting that it wasn't going to work. But the girls found a way.

--- End quote ---

Thanks Alan

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version