Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: Winter downed tree cutout  (Read 4713 times)

Offline brolib

• New Bee
Winter downed tree cutout
« on: January 04, 2019, 06:37:48 pm »
I've never done a cutout before. Gathered a few swarms in the spring, but this will be breaking new ground. A farmer friend was cutting dead ash trees and one had bees in it. When he told me, I had little hope that it would be salvageable, but when I went to take a look he had covered it with lots of bark and a tarp. I removed the bark and tarp and the bees were quite active and milling about(on the brood, I imagine). We have been enjoying unseasonably warm weather. Tomorrow I will remove the comb and bees and put them in frames and boxes. Any advise on wintertime removals would be appreciated. I'll be taking a surplus of boxes and rubber bands. Anything else?

A plus was seeing eagles. This farm is on the banks of the Wabash River near Logansport, IN. If I'm not too busy with bees, I would like to get some eagle pics.

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
Re: Winter downed tree cutout
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2019, 08:01:44 pm »
I have cut out several hives from trees. I would strongly recommend that, if you can, leave them in the tree until spring. There chances of surviving now are slim even if done during warm weather. After the last major cold snap, their chances seriously increase.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2019, 08:18:00 pm »
Here are some pictures of a tree cutout that I did last summer.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/cg1dbhuaQHLW3NiYA
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline iddee

• Universal Bee
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2019, 08:44:47 pm »
Like Jim says, try to take the log home, orient it as it was standing, and hope they live until spring. Then do the cutout.
"Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me . . . Anything can happen, child. Anything can be"

*Shel Silverstein*

Offline brolib

• New Bee
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2019, 09:17:14 pm »
Sound advise. Don't know if the tree was standing or down when the comb was drawn. I was really getting geared up for this, but perhaps it would be best to just stand down and go back in a April or May. Thank you. I'll give them a visit tomorrow and get them tucked in really good and maybe get some eagle pictures.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2019, 11:19:56 pm »
Sound advise. Don't know if the tree was standing or down when the comb was drawn. I was really getting geared up for this, but perhaps it would be best to just stand down and go back in a April or May. Thank you. I'll give them a visit tomorrow and get them tucked in really good and maybe get some eagle pictures.

Did you have a chance to go back? I was just interested in your progress..
2 Chronicles 7:14
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline brolib

• New Bee
« Reply #6 on: January 19, 2019, 01:58:50 pm »
No, I'll wait for warmer weather. I'm sure their chances for survival are better where they are now. I'll post again when that happens.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2019, 02:02:29 pm »
No, I'll wait for warmer weather. I'm sure their chances for survival are better where they are now. I'll post again when that happens.

Wise decision, I hope it works out good for you..
Phillip
14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2019, 11:45:09 pm »
How did it go?

Offline brolib

• New Bee
« Reply #9 on: July 20, 2019, 10:01:01 am »
Some critter beat me to it. I didn't go back. The farmer said something ate them. Didn't get any more details.

Online Ben Framed

• Global Moderator
  • Universal Bee
  • Mississippi Zone 7
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2019, 12:46:56 am »
Some critter beat me to it. I didn't go back. The farmer said something ate them. Didn't get any more details.

To bad, how are your other hives coming along, good I hope.
Phillip

Offline brolib

• New Bee
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2019, 06:25:34 pm »
I restocked my bee yard with 3 nucs. They are thriving. Did some splits and now have 3 hives to go into the fall. My health has improved much from last year and I hope to manage these hives better.

Offline Nock

• Field Bee
« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2019, 11:42:35 pm »
Glad to hear about your health.