Welcome, Guest

Author Topic: The bleeding must stop!  (Read 4260 times)

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
The bleeding must stop!
« on: April 01, 2018, 04:39:58 am »
Hi, All!

We are into our early Spring right now.  All of our fruit trees are staring to bud out.  Yesterday I made the mistake of cutting 2 branches off of our grape vine.  It was rather large 3/4" branches.  Since then it has been bleeding (pure water non stop) for a day now. One drop every 5 second!  If this new wound cannot be heal I'm afraid that all the water will come out leaving the vine dehydrated and eventually lead to a dead vine.  Is there a method or product on the market that can help this bleeding vine out?  If not then do come up with a working solution.   Really appreciate this.

Offline texanbelchers

• House Bee
    • Mark Belcher
Re: The bleeding must stop!
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2018, 05:52:22 am »
Something like https://nutrienttechnologies.com/2016/11/17/b-lock-vine-pruning-wound  There used to be a tar-like stuff my dad used on trees.   Maybe cap it with beeswax.

Offline jalentour

• Field Bee
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2018, 09:42:39 am »
melted bee wax?

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2018, 12:27:13 pm »
I would say if the vine is secreting water then water the roots.  The seal needs to come from the inside.  Once the water stops and the wound dries then you can seal the outside to protect it from outside attacks.  Vines are hard to kill.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline beepro

• Field Bee
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2018, 09:00:46 pm »
Thanks for the prompt replies.   Somehow after 24 hours the vines have stop bleeding.   So it has some kind of
self-healing ability that plug up the wounds.   I'm much relief now that they're fine.  Yes, will add more water to make up
for the lost. 

Offline minz

• House Bee
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2018, 05:19:42 pm »
I was cutting some big grape branches for a lady at work with parrots. I put the limb in the trunk a week after the cut and it bled all over the trunk.
you think grapes are bad go cut a maple after it starts to flow. I really thought I killed it!
Poor decisions make the best stories.

Offline gww

• Super Bee
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 12:54:15 pm »
beepro
When I grafted some trees, I used toilet rings.  The wax ring that goes under a toilet stool.  It is a couple of years and you can still see the stuff I put on the trees.  Plus they are not that expensive.
Good luck
gww

Offline Acebird

• Galactic Bee
  • Just do it
« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2018, 01:51:59 pm »
Plus they are not that expensive.
gww

Especially when they are used.
Brian Cardinal
Just do it

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2018, 08:37:35 pm »
Plus they are not that expensive.
gww

Especially when they are used.
Now that is nasty.  :shocked:
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin

Offline BeeMaster2

• Administrator
  • Universal Bee
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2018, 08:42:21 pm »
Beepro,
Keep in mind, plants are constantly moving water up to their leaves and perspiring water. There is a good chance the amount of water dripping out was the normal amount of water that the tree provides that branch or maybe even less than normal.
Jim
Democracy is 2 wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote.
Ben Franklin